Acupuncture

Has anyone had this before? How does the whole process go? Does it hurt? Does it actually help with stress/ pain relief?

I am considering getting it done and want to hear what people think. Is it worth it?

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 12:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Get it done every week- feel free to IM me-
    Understanding it is pretty involved, but I can put it this way. I usually can't even tell that there is a 'needle' in me- they aren't like shot or sewing needles at all.
    if they have to hit a point to stimulate where you need help, then you may feel something, but I've never had anything that I really considered pain.
    If it helps with nothing else it ALWAYS helps with stress relief-
    I was once waiting and got the worst headache of my life- he put 2 needles in me and it was like it just drained away-

I would go- I wish I'd started years ago- it's managed to replace all kinds of meds for me to say the least!

Please IM me so I can tell you more- I can tell you more about how the process goes
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Ok, I agree with the first poster, except I had a couple of points where it hurt like holy hell!!! I wanted to jump off the table and run! But I think it was the points that needed the work. They hurt for a reason, it needed the needle. Most acupuncturist? will want you to go for a certain amount of treatments. Not a one time deal. I went for 6 or 8 weeks for my stress and eczyema. Wanted something natural and not the steroids the doctors kept giving me. Oh and it kinda is expensive.

Good luck! Hope it works for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• some insurances will pay for this. i would try anything alternative before trying to numb the pain with medications!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• keep in in mind that a lot of it will depend on the acupuncturist- mine takes a very low keyed approach to things which probably is why with him I've never really experienced anything other than the occasional fleeting 'pain' so to speak- but even then the discomfort that I occasionally feel is far better than the other problems I would have if I didn't go.

anon 238 could have been seen by someone who takes a more aggressive method. not that it's necessarily wrong, but there are benefits to both.

it's just like anything, you need to consider who you go to and make sure the person and their methods are right for you.
    I hope you try it out, I've found it very beneficial.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• oh, and I don't know where you live but some places have schools for acupuncture and you can get reduced rates.
    and some work on sliding scales - don't be afraid to ask
    good luck with it!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• OP here- How much does each session cost? It sounds like something I want to try to do..
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2010