When to stop using the toddler bed?

My daughter is 3 1/2yrs old, she says her convertible crib is a baby's bed. We're working on potty training her and helping her be more independent. So am wondering when it's time to get a bigger bed.

messmakersmama

Asked by messmakersmama at 12:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think toddler beds are a waste of money.
    if she's 3 1/2 now it will only be a couple years before she's too big for her toddler bed. Just get a twin, and if you're worried about her falling off then put the mattress on the floor.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• sounds like she's ready now. we just got dd a twin sized bed. she loves it and has no problem getting in and out of it. she's nearly three.
    samstress

Answer by samstress at 1:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i misread your question. i thought you were asking when to get a toddler bed.
    sorry.
    anyways though, if she doesn't like her bed then she is ready for a twin. My DS2 has been in a twin for ...about a year or more and he's 4.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• my daughter went straight from a crib to a twin on her 1st birthday...i also thought/think that toddler beds are a waste of money which is why i never got one. shes 5yr old and she has never fallen out of her bed...but if you are worried, you can ge one of those bars that go across the bed to stop her...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My daughter went from crib to a full sized bed.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• It's up to you. My nearly 4 year old is in a toddler bed but not the conversion of the crib. We tossed that and bought a cheap $60 toddler bed over a year ago. He loves it and fits it perfectly so we have no intentions of getting rid of it soon, especially given how small the boys' room is.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I'm sure she'd be fine. My daughter went straight to a twin bed from her crib at 2.5 years. We got a guard rail for $25 because when we first moved her, she was in the habit of sleeping balled up and pressed up against the crib rails. She did that for awhile, and now she sleeps like we do, so I'd imagine we could ditch the rail (she's almost 3).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• We moved my son from his convertible crib to a double bed a month before his 3rd birthday. We put a rail on the side since he sleeps all over the place. He loves having the room.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• When we moved my stuff in after my husband and I got married we gave the toddler bed to my brother's son who had just turned two and my stepdaughter got my twin sized sleep number which is her "big girl bed"! She was two at the time and is now almost four and absolutely loves it and has figured out a few different ways of climbing up into it. She does roll around a bit while she sleeps sometimes so we have a lot of pillows around the floor and made sure there was nothing hard for her to hit her head on if she does fall.
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 4:30 AM on Mar. 14, 2010