Do you get extremely irrational, sad and needy before your period? And if so, what do you do about it?

Do you get extremely irrational, sad and needy before your period? And if so, what do you about it?
Maybe this is a given for a lot of women, but I didn't used to be this way. It's just in the past year or so that I've noticed I get really bad PMS (I'm 29).
It's so bad that I have to restrain myself from contacting friends or my boyfriend for a couple days before my period, because if I talk to them I will bitch or complain or act incredibly needy and neglected.
My period is due to start any moment now, and tonight I laid down on the floor and rolled around and cried because I felt so abandoned by my long distance bf falling asleep during a text conversation. It was almost like a panic attack...in fact I still feel somewhat panicked about it an hour later.
The rest of the month I'm a calm and rational person (I swear!)
I hate feeling this way.

popcornlover

Asked by popcornlover at 1:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Health

• I think you need to see a doctor about PMDD... Here is a website with some info about it.

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/UVAHealth/adult_women/pmdd.cfm

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Your body goes through changes and so does your PMS symptoms, mine used to be really bad cramps my heating pad and I were good friends for a week, i had chocolate cravings and all i wanted to do was lay around and be lazy. Now 10 years later I am a very scary woman lol, PMS week brings out the nasty B!$@H in me, I rant and scream and get ticked over the stupidest things Nothing makes me happy i can find fault with the change in weather, my DH generally just stays quiet and hides downstairs LOL, I swear I dont mean to be like that but it is as if I am watching my self freak out and have no way to stop it. I have learned to just pick up some new books the week before and spend the next week reading, DH keeps the kids busy and I try to stay quiet, it works but I think we are all ready for the next hormonal change to happen this is getting old really quick.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• If it's only right before you're period, I'm doubting it's pmdd, I know, I've got it and most of the time I have one good week a month. Most women do notice an increase in pms symptoms as they get older. Just make sure to take your vitamins on a regular basis, cut back on the sugar, caffeine and for me dairy and red meat. Although I don't do much dairy or meats much at all, there are too many hormones and they really screw me up.

I'd also suggest starting a journal, plus tracking your symptoms, that will help if you seek medical help. If you're lucky enough to find a doctor that doesn't just hand you a prescip for some anti-anxiety pill, it will help them help you. I spent many years having my ex deployed, it was rough, especially with two kids. Check on here for a pms group, they will all understand what you go through, and won't mind the emotional stuff. PM me if you need to. Hugs
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• lol, no i just get reallllllly hungry right before im about to start...i will eat a meal, then literally like an hour later i will be staaaaaaaarving!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i just get real emotional a week before and tend to snap at my bf for no reason well sometimes. lol. but yes i do hate it.
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 3:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• There are lifestyle changes that you can make that will lessen your PMS. Eliminate meat and dairy for at least two weeks before your period; during the same two weeks, cut way back on sodium and sugars; fill your diet with whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes. Get regular exercise, even if it is just a twenty minute walk every day (yoga is fantastic).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Thank you, ladies, for your very helpful advice! I think I may have PMDD....
    popcornlover

Answer by popcornlover at 12:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2010