husband vs. puppy

i bought me a female puppy a couple of months ago and she's TERRIFIED of my husband. she runs and hides if he even walks in the room.

i don't know what to do anymore. he gets so mad b/c she just runs and hides and shakes like a leaf, and all we do it fight about it. it's hurting our marrage!

now on top of that she's sick and won't take her meds. so we have to take her to the vet every 3 weeks to get her tested but she still keeps coming up positive. we're droping almost $200 per visit...so we're getting sick of that too!

i need some help. i don't want to get rid of the dog b/c i'll be upset but my husband would be happy...

soccermama08

Asked by soccermama08 at 2:01 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Have you considered socialization/obedience classes? They often help with teaching your pup how to handle themselves, even in stressful situations.

As for the medication, have you tried asking your vet to show you how you should administer the medication? They usually have some holds that make giving medication easier. I would also try hiding the medication in food-- usually something nice and stinky, like a bit of cat food.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Puppies are known for not taking their meds. You can buy something called pockets made by the greenies company and they are these neat little pill pockets. You put the pill in, smoosh it closed and the dogs eats it whole, pill and all. We have used it for both our dogs. AND I would be calling the place you got the pup from and complaining that he is this ill. As far as husband dog issues, I agree with Busimommi but I want to add something. Your puppy is picking something up from your husband. An emotion. You say your husband is frustrated and angry with the dog? Did you talk it over with him before you bought the puppy? Did he go with you to pick out the puppy? If not to both or either of these questions, then you have a problem. Look up the Dog Whisperer. He has dealt with these issues on his shows. You might find some help or advice there. But your husband's attitude towards the dog is going to have to change.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• the meds are liquid and i have to give them to her with a surenge(sp?) and she spits it out or drools them out...since she has like no teeth---loosing her puppy teeth! i'm going to call the vet today for some suggestions.

to answer a couple of your questions kuriequinn: yes we talked about getting her especially since she's #2 (we were going to breed them) and no he didn't go with me to get her, he had to work. it seems like he just doesn't like her b/c she doesn't act like the older one. she's not as playful as he is with us...but she does great with the other dog.

Busimommi- in order for those classes to work, wouldn't my husband have to take her!?

thanks for your time and input!
    soccermama08

Answer by soccermama08 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• As long as he doesn't like her, she won't like him. And Yeah, the hubby would have to take the dog to the training classes because the training classes aren't meant to really train the dog but the human.

What breed of pup is it? Some breeds just don't play as much as others. I know my lab took a long time before she really started playing with us but she played with the other dog right away. She still doesn't play as much as she cuddles though. :) The first dog, an aussie/english shepherd mix, played with us right away. We got them a year apart, both as puppies. My in-laws lab, also female, took a long time to warm up to them as well. My in-laws got this lab when it was 2. But now she plays with them but not our dogs. The three dogs are around each other a ton.

Good luck on this all, it sounds like a stressful mess. If you want message me more questions.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• both dogs are papillons (aka-the butterfly dog). the first one started playing and running around about 5 minutes after i brought him home at 8 weeks but he was a single family that just happened to breed them. now #2 was about 3 months old and from an actual breeder. so she didn't get the hands only human time until we got her.

and about the illness thing--i did call the breeder and tell her and she said that there was no way she could have gotten it from her place...but that's not what the vet said. but i told her to make sure to test the other pups b/c if she sells sick pups knowingly that's going to get her in big trouble. so rather or not she actually listened...i have know clue, but i did what i thought was right by telling her.
    soccermama08

Answer by soccermama08 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• The condition of the breeder's could have a lot to do with the fact that she isn't as out going. But it could also be the individual temperament of the puppy. Puppy classes could help socialize but she'd have to be well enough to go.

Oh, here's a trick we use with our dogs when introducing them to strangers, it might help you. Have your hubby feed the puppy treats. Like little pieces of cheese and meat, esp chicken. Your puppy viewing your hubby as a source of yummies could help. It helps with our dogs because then the strangers become a source of good stuff. In fact the dog trainer we went to when we got our first dog said that as well, as well as other doggie trainers I have seen on tv. Do you have access to Animal Planet? If so watch "It's Me or the Dog". Its a great show that shows how to help situations where there is dog behavior problems.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2010