Am I expecting too much?

Our 6yo (my SS) tends to be really rude when he's around other kids, and doesn't seem to care - he basically thinks he's the center of the world I think. He'll push kids to get through if we're at some place. He tends to talk really loudly while in a group so he can be heard over everyone else and be center of attention. When I see this type of behavior I call it to attention and make him stop or punish or discuss it with him later, depending on the circumstance, but everyone else seems to think it's cute or okay (adults anyway, I can tell other kids are annoyed by it.) Am I wrong to expect him to not do these things, or at 6 is he old enough to know not to do this stuff? All the other kids out that I see seem to behave okay, and I have to look like the bad parent because mine does this, but then often people are like "he's just being a boy" or "he's just being 6" and then he thinks, "oh, it's okay." (cont'd)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Help, please. Do I correct or ignore this behavior? And what's the best way to deal with it? Nothing seems to get through.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• no, your correct. my son is only 7 months but if i ever have this problem believe me i will correct him. some people think its cute cuz it isnt their kid doing it but it can be embarassing. he is old enough to know right from wrong, I use to babysit these 3 kids and when the son would do something wrong (he is 6 also) he would get no tv or video games and they would ground him for a week. try taking things he likes away, and punish him for longer periods. Good Luck!
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 2:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would not ignore such behaviour and you might consider that some adults may think his behaviour is out of line but are too polite to say so. Children can be spoiled by ways other than being showered with toys and money and one way is being allowed to be the centre of attention. The sooner you break him of this habit , the better.

At his age , I would say he is old enough to understand rules of behaviour if they are put to him , simply and firmly and he is reminded of them as soon as he seems to forget them. I am a no nonsense mom and I spank. My children get one warning and if they do not heed it, they are strapped, not in public but at home, in private. One warning is usually enough , fortunately.

I understand that some moms do not approve of spanking but i would think many would agree that he needs rules for his behaviour and you do need a means of enforcing them. It will be harder to cure when he is older.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• agree with janet116
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 2:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• It sounds like he is trying to get attention, IMO. How is he doing other than that?

To answer your question- No, it is not wrong that you are correcting him, and you are not expecting too much. My DD is 23 months old & I correct her when she does those things, because it is inconsiderate to others.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Sounds to me like he is attention seeking from peers. Soon enough 'environmental consequences' will occur. That will be out of your hands and in the hands of his peers. As a teacher, sometimes I think this works better that it coming from and adult.
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 6:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• A child is never too young to be taught proper behavior and good manners. I am more concerned about parents that let their 6 year olds push and shove and be rude. Those children are old enough to know better. I do not think you are expecting too much.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2010