How Can I Get Over Work Stress???

To most people, my job would not seem stressful, i'm just a cashier. I have not worked in over 3 years, and in that time i had a kid and went through some PPD. I like my job, i find it fairly easy, but i find myself thinking about it constantly, so much so, that i dream about it, then wake up MANY hours before i have to be there and can't go back to sleep. I'm Part-time, but it consumes me. I feel so drained after my shifts, that i have no time for family before i need 'me' time, and on my days off, i am over-booked with Dr. appoinments, and everything i need to do that i couldn't do on the days that i work. I see a counselor, and i try to live in the moment, but i don't know why it's eating away at me like this. It might sound like 'just a job' and silly to some, but i need this job, and the problem is REAL to me. Any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• You need to get back in, or into therapy. I suspect that your past depression was masked with drugs, instead of treated.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• it seems like maybe you are taking your job too seriously? i used to just waitress...i still had nightmares years after i was done! sometimes it helps me to put things into perspective...what is the worst thing that would happen if you were...late to work...or your drawer was short? it really would be ok.
    also, a yoga routine before bed might be helpful...even taking deep cleansing breaths may help. i like to pray the rosary for focus when i feel things are out of hand. so maybe that if you are catholic, or any type of meditation.
    good luck to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You seem to be a little obsessive about your job, maybe therapy (not drugs) could help you understand why you feel this way. I agree that a yoga routine might help. I always found a brisk walk after work helped. I often needed 20 minutes of me time before I jumped into the routine of home.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Are you open to working from home? That might change the way you feel. It did for me. I was underpaid and over worked which I am sure there is a lot of people who feel that way. But if your interested visit my website and fill you information out and see what other options you have. It might be something you want to do.

Danielle
    http://www.internetceomoms.com/danishel
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I understand where you are coming from. I work as a mortgage processor and while I was proving myself to my boss I put a lot of undue stress on me. I would work 14 hours a day just to get the job done, then come home and receive phone calls all night until I went to bed. I would dream about work every night. When I had to learn a new program that is all I thought about. I built more houses in my sleep than most build in real life. I was the backbone of the company. No one could do what I did. Boy was that an ego boost and the income wasn't bad either. I began to get treated badly from the same person that I was making rich and it didn't take me long to realize I was the sucker. I cut my hours to 8 a day and refused to take calls at home. Once I took back my life I began to realize that they didn't care one bit about me. I have since lost my health insurance, vacation, 401k and took a pay cut. Let it go.
    Anonymous

• Me too girl. I have so many issues falling asleep anyway, but them to think about work all night, UGH! Recently I have started to see a Hypnotherapist because I don't want to have to take meds. It's very relaxing and he even teaches how to handle the stress. I always recommend seeking natural methods of relaxation before you turn to meds. Also, do you have any relaxing music to play at bedtime. Play the music, lay back listen and close your eyes. It's very relaxing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I had so much stress at work that I gained 40 pounds, ended up with high blood pressure and was completely miserable. I finally took control of my life and quit and started a home business. Life is great. No more stress, no more high blood pressure, and everyone is happy. I am control of my business, I am successful, family is happy, and most important - MAMA is happy!!! Good luck.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 12:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2010