What can I do to take the edge off my post part um depression? I think I need some serious help (

I am having a really hard time taking care of my daugher-- mostly just when I am exhausted! I am not getting ANY sleep and she is NOT done crying EVER! Im losing my mind. My family is taking care of her for me so I can get some help. But this makes me feel like a failure as a mother and a horrible person in general! Am I alone here? What should I do? Can someone just please be my friend thats close by? I need friends, help. Love <3

Kal3idoscop3y3z

Asked by Kal3idoscop3y3z at 5:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh my gosh . . . don't feel like you're a bad mother because people are helping you take care of your baby. Take advantage of it and enjoy the time that you get to rest because you need it. Your body has gone through so much and it needs to rest but top it off with caring for a new baby, it's very stressful. Be thankful for your family's support. Don't be afraid to talk about what your going through to someone that you feel comfortable with. Is there a group for new moms in your area that you connect with? This helped me so much after I had my first. It was a place for me to go and talk with other moms and know that I wasn't alone with what I was going through. If you don't start feeling better over time, talk to your doctor. Your doctor can help you. Hang in there--it gets easier!!!!
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 7:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I'm sorry for your pain. I have been there, more than once, and it is a very bad place. Have you talked to your doctor about what you're going through? Try eating a good diet (low in sugar,high complex carbs, veggies and plant proteins), getting out for some fresh air, exercise and spend time doing something you love to do everyday. These things helped me.

It's really important that you talk to your doctor as over time symptoms can progressively worsen without treatment.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• First and most important: You are NOT a failure as a mother!! You are a tired new mom. It is good that you are getting the extra hand from family, just relax in the down time. They're loving the time with the new baby just as much (actually more!) as you are enjoying catching a break!

Second, talk to your doctor about the PPD. You can't manage it alone, it won't go away on it's own, and it will get worse if you don't talk to the doctor about it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• you are not a failure! family is supposed to help! some cultures spoil new moms so much that they do nothing for a whole month! our society is odd...lots of pressure on moms. try to get some rest. i am not sure where you live but some sunshine if you can get it might help...a little walk outside.
    good luck mama and congrats on your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Oh you're not alone. I had bad problems after I had my second child and I had no help at first, that was scary. Talk to your doctor please.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My son had all day colic for 6 months - literally 14 hours a day! and he didn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time.. for the first whole year of his life I slept when he slept.. My mom came over literally every day so I could nap, I cried ALL the time cause I had PP and a colicky baby and wanted to run away. he was my first ( and now ONLY ) child and it wasn't supposed to be THIS HARD... I knew it.. well, it happens.. if you have people to help you TAKE IT! it does not mean you are a failure.. I had a very hard time adjusting to being a monther and we even tried and prepared to have our son for 3 years.. sometimes it doesn't come easy to everyone.. email me anytime you want to talk.. I have been there .. hang in there.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• the fact that you are getting help proves that you are a great mother. Get the help you need so that you can get healthy. PPD is NOT sometihng that you can think away. It is a physical reaction to the changing hormones in your body coupled with sleep deprevation... Sleep deprevation alon can cause very sever depression, but add drastic homonal shifts, the added stress and damage from deliver and trying to heal and cope with the emtional demands of a new life... your not alone. I have suffered with ppd in the past. You need to make sleep a priority. Eat a diet of high iron foods. Get outside everyday for at least 30 min. And go see your doctor. Use the help you have till you get better. Rely on family as much as you can. Right now you need to get yourself better so that you take care of your baby.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I take over the counter 5-HTP for my depression. I recommended it to my youngest (adult) daughter for her PPD and it helped. If you have no medical conditions prohibiting its use then perhaps you could consider trying that. I only take it when I feel I need it not all the time.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Get your sleep, and forget the guilt. My son screamed the first 9 months of his life. I could not bond with him, I didn't sleep, I felt like the worst mother ever...and he was my 4th out of 5 kids. I had done the mommy thing before. He made me feel like a complete rookie. Rest is what you need now. Take what you can get. Enjoy the break, this won't last forever I promise. Call your doc, if you feel some help is needed. That is what he is there for. Don't be so hard on yourself...this too shall pass!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2010