Having a cold and pregnant question

hello!

OK, this is our first, (We are ecstatic!!!) so i have a lot of wonderings. (my first OB appointment isn't till the end of march).
My main thought right now is - has anyone ever gotten a cold (coughing up stuff, sneezing, congestion, sore throat...) as soon as they were pregnant? I'm 6 weeks pregnant and it seems like this cold has been with me since day one. my family doctor said it was just viral. Well, I'm beginning to doubt that. I'm taking Tylenol (family Dr said it was fine) and the cold seems to get better and then a lot worse, then better and then worse. not to mention a few times I've coughed so hard i threw up.
I just wish i knew what of my symptoms were pregnancy related and which were cold related.
Anyone have the same experience?
I'm also, a little nervous because i'm coughing so much i might hurt the baby. A little silly, but i don't know.......

Laurenmommy918

Asked by Laurenmommy918 at 8:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference in the symptoms. However your family doctor or OB should be able to give you some medicine that is safe to take during your pregnancy that should give you some relief. Don't worry I was sick a few times during my pregnancy with sinus infections and such, and had yucky pregnancy symptoms as well. I am now 3 days from meeting my baby girl! Good luck and just try and take extra good care of yourself! Drink lots of water!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I just had my third child and from the beginning of September thru the middle of December I battled a "cold". Non stop congestion, occasional cough....it sucked. She had me take sudafed, she prescribed nasal spray (which I didn't take), and two rounds of antibiotics. Nothing helped. Just try to drink a lot of water and stock up on kleenex!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:54 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• eat well, sleep well and i would not advise tylenol. i know that most doctors say it is fine, but do you really want to numb your body at a time like this? the tylenol can suppress your body from functioning the way that it should. many women get colds that they would normally not get when pregnant. mine seem to last longer when pregnant. i think it is because your body is putting so much energy into growing the baby, that it has a little less for you! i usually get some sort of stomach virus during each pregnancy...yuck!
    the coughing should not hurt your baby.
    congrats on your pregnancy!!!!!
    eat well, sleep well, drink your water!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2010