17 weeks Pregnant and scared. Help please.

I am 17 weeks and 2 days pregnant and have been feeling the baby move since around 14 weeks but it's not all the time. I mostly feel the baby everyday but lately I have not. Could that be a sign of a problem? This is my second pregnancy but I didn't feel my first until around 18 weeks and they seemed to more a lot more. My fear is that the baby could die and I would not know it. How common would that be? I work, workout, and get stressed at times and feel like I have done something to harm the baby. :( No bashing please. This is a true fear and could use some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think all moms go through this, I did for sure ( I had 4 losses) Call you Dr. and go see him - they can do a fetal heart beat check possibly! Hugs!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 8:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• At 17 weeks, you're not likely to feel the baby move all of the time. When I was pregnant with my youngest I had a lot of complications. My husband rented a fetal monitor (just like they use in doctors offices) for me, I was able to hear his heartbeat and his movements. It saved my sanity - well worth the $35 a month. (Those cheapo ones you can buy for $50 aren't near as good as the ones you rent.)

You should never be scared to call your doctor if you have a concern.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• First off, call your doctor if you're really worried; they can get you in and let you know if there's cause for worry, ease your fears. That's what they're there for, to make sure you and baby are healthy.

Secondly, this early in the game, it's common to not feel baby all the time, even if you have been for a while. Since baby is still so small, something as simple as a change in position can cause movement awareness to decrease. For instance, my second liked to hang out with her back to my front, so she was doing all her wiggling inside where I couldn't feel it as much. That's probably all that's happened with your baby. But again, call the doctor if you want to make sure. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:53 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i am on my 5th child, 4th pregnancy. i swear i feel more movement with this child than my twins! my first child i hardly ever felt moving at all. my point is, i think all babies are different.
    if you think you are working out too much or too aggressively, then cut back .
    if you think you get stressed too much then incorporate stress reducers in your life...yoga can be awesome!
    i had a preemie b/c of stress, so since then i have let go of a lot of things that are simply out of my control.
    i am not sure if you are a religious woman or not, but some say stress is a sin b/c you are not trusting the Good Lord to take care of you.
    eat right, drink your water, live well, exercise well and share your concerns with your doctor!
    i am sure everything is all right. i have read that the babies enjoy life so much when you are active, that they just lie still and "enjoy the ride" i feel my baby mostly when i'm sitting and relaxed.
    good luck
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2010