Why does this bother me~?

The day before yesterday my new boyfriend wanted to pick me up at noon, grab a bite to eat with me and take me by his campus (he's studying to become a nurse) & fill out some paperwork..here's the thing, we had a slight falling out, got back together, (he started counseling for his manic depressive disorder and will be going every week because he doesn't want to mess things up with me) ...I won't go into all our little issues, but we typically get along GREAT, always laughing our asses off, loving each other ..havin a good ole time..I was too busy to go with him to lunch and by his school and at the time I was touched that he wanted to make me part of his world like that (were brand new) but because I am not sure if things will work..I'm not sure that I even want to go there...I felt like he wanted to show me off, he had said as much..he says he likes being seen with me..to be continued...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It could also be that he is trying to include you in his life to show you that he is serious about you guys. Typically, couples in a long term relationship tend to be involved in each other's lives, discussing things like paperwork that needs to be filled out, decisions that need to be made regarding careers and stuff like that. Maybe this was his way of trying to involve you and take another step in the relationship. And maybe that's why it bothers you...maybe you're not sure you're ready to take a next step yet. As for liking being seen with you...I like to be seen with my boyfriend. I love him, I am proud to be his girlfriend so yes, I like people to see us together. It makes me feel proud. Same for him. I think you are just overthinking that part b/c of something some idiot said to you years ago, and you can't punish your current boyfriend for something an old boyfriend did.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• OP here..I had a bf when I was younger that said being seen with me made him look good, he said he was getting more attention from the girls since everyone in town knew he was with me....that pissed me off! I think my new boyfriend is great, and I am flattered, don't get me wrong, but something about it bothers me! Maybe if I were sure we were going to work things out and be together I would feel differently..I'm thinking this will come up again & it just weirds me out for some reason..what's wrong with me!? It may also be that he wants to prove his loyalty to me since we have talked about the fact that it is a female dominated carreer, and one of his study buddies is a young girl..idk...I can't get my perspective in gear..any insights anyone?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think that you are worrying about it too much. He is probably proud of you and it is normal that dudes want to show off their GF's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think your gut is telling you something and you should listen. This may not work out and I think you know it so why invest your time..........JMO

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• if all else fails listen to your gut- I'd maybe keep this guy as a friend if you can, but I wouldn't date him if you truly feel something is wrong
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My husband used to do that with me a lot when we were first dating. The thing about guys is that if they have a pretty girlfriend/wife, their status goes up in the eyes of other men and even other women. When you tell a guy that his girlfriend/wife is pretty, he will say 'thank you.' Did he make her? No. Does he have any damn reason to think that having a beautiful partner is his doing, no. But society tells him that he should be congratulated for attracting a beautiful woman. He just wants to show everyone that. It makes him look like a better man.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2010