International Women's Day essentially ignored in US -Thoughts?

So I saw the CM banner and maybe a few other mentions to International Women's Day this past Monday. But I just read an article that said we are one of the few in the world that do not make a big "to-do" or recognize it as an official holiday.

I'm interested in what you ladies think about this? Agree/Disagree

"Monday marked the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day. The day doesn't get a great deal of attention within the United States, but many other countries honor it with a national holiday. Nations that officially honor it are far flung, ranging from China and Russia to Macedonia and Vietnam. Some countries will encourage men to lavish gifts on the women in their lives, in the tradition of greeting-card holidays like Father's Day and Mother's Day. Other countries promote women-only commemorations of the day, with all-female parties and dinners."

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree!!

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• ummmmmm
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Well personally it does not bother me if some big hoopla is not made of the day.If it bothers others they could always advocate for more of a big deal to be made.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I was just wondering if you think we should recognize days like this - it seems strange to me I guess that some place like China would have a National Day of Recognition for Women; but the US doesn't?

I don't know if it really 'matters' in the grand scheme of things; just surprised me to read that...I just assumed it was like Arbor Day or whatever...I didn't know anyone other than maybe school kids really knew about these random days of recognition...

Just wondering how it struck others...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• A lot of days are not recognized in the US,
    WHy not make a big deal that womens history MONTH is not recognized?
    Which BTW is THIS month
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• lol - IDK Mrs.Owen...maybe because they haven't written an article about it for me to read! I knew last month was Black History Month; but I wasn't aware that March was Women's History Month - they don't make quite such a big deal about it on tv...?? You DO have a good point...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Who the heck cares?? There isn't a 'man's day'... my gosh, why do we need a day or month for EVERYTHING? Can't we just celebrate being people... especially AMERICAN people?
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Who cares? When is International Men's Day? Children's day? Twenty Year Old's day? Geriatric Pregnancy Day? Teen Mother's Day? WHO CARES?? I don't need a special day to know that I AM AWESOME!!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I only "care" because I was bored and found the article's information interesting - thought it might make for a good conversation.

I'll never understand why people feel the need to be confrontational for no reason? If you don't care then why did you reply??

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I personally think it would be discrimination to have a "women's day". Both sexes contribute to society and since we don't have a "men's day",or "teenager's day "etc why should we have a "woman's day"?
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2010