Who would like to meet with Sec. of Education Arne Duncan this May to discuss the crucial role parents play in helping implement the national agenda for improving the country's school system and educational opportunities available to our nation's children?

SECRETARY OF EDUCATION ARNE DUNCAN TO ADDRESS MOM EDUCATION ADVOCATES AT PARENTING MAGAZINE’S MOM CONGRESS CONFERENCE!

Parenting magazine continues search through March 15th for outstanding mom advocates from every state to attend the inaugural Mom Congress on Education and Learning in Washington, D.C. this May.

One mom from every state and Washington, D.C. will receive transportation and hotel accommodations to attend the Mom Congress conference
at Georgetown University, Sunday, May 2nd through Tuesday, May 4th, 2010.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We don't need a national agenda. Schools are state responsibility for the most part and should stay that way. If people are so worried about education they should be in Austin where they are now deciding what will be in your SS and history books. Get involved with your local schools.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I agree w/ Steph. The schools have been going down hill ever since the Feds got involved. NCLB anyone? And it started long before that.

Let that states deal with it. Unless you really like the idea that the state of TEXAS is deciding what your kids learn in school.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think we need more involvement in a local level. The school district where I live only graduates 50% of the students ready for college. Every time my children were involved in something, it was the same 20% of the parents involved. Where were the rest of the parents? I realize some work or have illnesses but most were just content to let us make all of the decisions and do all of the work. They had complaints but were not interested in spending time and energy to help make it different.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Texas wants to be conservative about many things, despite their immigration and drugs-on-the-border problem.

That's okay with me................

But didn't I read that Dallas or some other big town has a homosectule ( counry pronunciation) mayor or something.

People in town can get crazy, I guess......................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• As a Mom and and educator, I would love the opprotunity. Unfortunately, I would have to be away from my classroom to do so. Interesting thought though, why not invite educators too? Oh, wait--I almost forgot. We are just considered overpaid tools of the system.

eye rollingbanging head into wall

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would like to see more input from parents, those 20% that a pp listed! As a parent I would like to see more teaching of the actual school subjects and less fed/state mandated junk. I would also like to see a little more freedoms for teachers to teach with their style and not the fed/state mandated one. I know several wonderful teachers and through my many hours volunteering within the classrooms I have seen how they are hampered. It is really sad.

---I think our kids would be better served if there wasn't a teachers union. jmo
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would love to go. I am sick and tired of teachers teaching to the NCLB tests. Cookie cutter classes, cookie cutter curriculum, cookie cutter students. I agree with PP who said, get the federal government OUT of our school systems.
    360

Answer by 360 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• mustbeGRACE, How about clarifying your statement. First it makes no sense and second, we in Tx ARE doing everything we can do to make sure these textbooks are children are supposed to be learning History from are CORRECT. I don't see anyone from up north or out west there hashing it out with us. It's certainly not our doing that makes everyone else use the textbooks we approve. And what does having Immigration and drugs on the border have to do with being a Conservative state? Also, it was Houston who just elected a lesbian Mayor and thats a whole nuther story.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• It's too bad that Arne Duncan isn't an educator.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010