"Eat as much junk food as you want, as long as you make it yourself." What do you think about this rule?

I heard this yesterday from the man who wrote the documentary "Food Inc." and I really like the idea of it. Basically, you shouldn't feel like you have to deprive yourself of foods that are delicious like french fries, but if you have to make them yourself they're more likely to be considered a "sometimes food" because their a pain in the butt to make if you want to make them well.

I think the effort of making your own food, and paying attention to what goes into it is well worth it.

Another food rule from "Food Inc.": If your Great-grandmother would not recognize that it's food, then don't eat it because it probably isn't food.

Meaning things like over processed sugar and preservatives stuffed into tubes that look like toothpaste are not real food.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• IMO french fries are easy to make, take them out of the bag, toss them in the deep fryer, and they are done in a few inutes. It's a stupid rule, and this is why America is obese. Because fat people will do whatever they need to to get that crappy food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I don't think "taking them out of the bag" counts as making it yourself. I think you'd have to cut up the potatoes to really "make it yourself." Plus if you make them at home you can bake them instead of deep frying them. I think using a deep fryer is a big pain in the butt. It's messy when it splatters and drips all over, the oil is super hot, and it's hard to keep the appliance and the oil clean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I do believe that if people took the time to cut the potatoes up, we might eat less. But that goes for all food, who has time to pick berries and make their own jelly so it contains less sugar? I don't think my whole day should be consumed just to provide food for my family.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I already follow this philosophy and I guarantee it cuts down on eating junk food. Some of the stuff I like takes time and effort. I've cut out a lot or at least reduced it. I switched to baking sweet potato fries instead of heating up oil and stinking up my house for white potato french fries.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think it helps, but I've also gain a good amount of weight since I cook a lot and it often wasn't low cal- so you still have to use common sense
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• IMO french fries are easy to make, take them out of the bag, toss them in the deep fryer,

laughing

That's not "making them yourself".  Making them yourself involves buying a potato, cutting it into fries and seasoning them yourself (peeling optional).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• well imo making french fries and fried chicken, etc. is not that hard so i think i would be really fat following his rule lol. and the part about don't eat it if your great grandmother wouldn't eat it.... well my grandmother ate donuts by the dozen lol so i don't really think that's a good idea either. o she also would suck down a whole bag of cheese curls lol. they had crappy food in the old days too lmao
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i bake my french fries, and i cut them up from potatoes too.we have fried chicken strips almost weekly, i use olive oil. i understand the point, and it is valid to a point. i think the extra chemicals in the food are more damaging than many people believe. even homemade things can still be too high in sugar if consumed on a regular basis. like everything else over indulgence plays a huge role. i finally found a recipe for graham crackers and i am sooo looking forward to trying it out! organic grahams are a bit expensive!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• That's almost my attitude. I have no hesitations eating or serving my children homemade cake, cookies, and ice cream. But if we ate "as much as we want" we would have weight issues. I guess it's more like "eat as much as we want within reason."
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2010