Formula question: Water or formula first in the bottle?

Ok... When I mix a bottle I put formula in first then water. My mom keeps saying the water should be first then formula. She keeps nagging and nagging about it. I'm exhausted from being awake most of the night and she is about to make me blow a fuse. Really, what's the freakin difference!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always put the water in first. Not because anyone said it was better, its just how I did things. I dont think it makes a difference.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• lol...take a deep breath, don't blow a fuse. :)
    I always had put the water in first so I could measure the amount of water properly so I would know that I was mixing the correct amounts of water to formula.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• How do you measure the water? If you measure it on the markings on the bottle, you should put the water in first because by putting the formula first you may not be putting enough water in. If you measure the water in a measuring cup or something then either way is fine.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I put the water in first to make sure I had the correct amount of water in the bottle then added the formula.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I agree... I always put the water in first so I'd know for sure that it was measured correctly.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 10:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Water first
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Always put water in first.. if you put the formula in first you may be putting in the incorrect amount of water. If you're not putting in enough water it can lead to severe gastro-intestinal distress or severe constipation. If you're putting in too much water, you could start seeing her weight gain slow or her electrolytes could become off.

Measure the water to the 2 or 4 oz line, and put in 1 or 2 LEVEL unpacked scoops as directed on the can. Your mom is nagging you and not letting it go because you are doing something potentially hazardous.

It's part of motherhood to be exhausted. If you're really about to blow a fuse, try come tension tamer or chamomile tea or maybe have your mom (assuming she's there) watch your baby for a couple hours so you can take a nap and re-energize.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• is water then formula. it says right on the can!!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Yep, water first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• anon 1022 not all formulas say to pack the scoops in the directions... so be careful.

i use drop ins and the water doesn't measure right in those so since i use a different container to measure and heat i put the formula in first.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 10:50 AM on Mar. 12, 2010