A question for Jehova's Witnesses

Some background, I have a true question, not an attack. My neighbors are JWs. They are very kind people and good neighbors. I am a Christian (Baptist). She offered me a book for children titled Learn From the Great Teacher, which I accepted. I truly wanted to know the difference in beliefs. It is a Watchtower publication. I sat down to read and something 22 pages in immediately set off alarms. It said, I quote: "Jesus was the first person that God made. Jesus was an angel, and he lived in heaven with his Father."

My question is this: Do JWs believe that Jesus is God's creation or part of the trinity? Because up until that point in the book it did say that Jesus was God's son, that he was with God from the beginning, but then it makes the claim that Jesus was the first created person and an angel. If you as a JW do not believe in the divinity of Jesus are you a true Christian? No hate intended.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• God is invisible. Jesus is God made visible.
    Colossians 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
    m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 4:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Yes, I am.

Jesus was Jehovah's first creation and was there when Jehovah made the earth and the first human couple. Jesus helped Jah in the creation of the heavens (stars and galaxies and such) and the earth. Jesus is the very same in which the bible refers to as the Arch Angle Michael. We believe that Jesus is God's son and not apart of some trinity.

My advice to you is that since you have Witnesses living right next door to you why not ask them instead? I'm sure they'll be more than happy to share with you our beliefs and you'll get to understand more about us as a people and an organization.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• No, they do not believe in the "all in one" like many Baptists and other religions do. I was raised in Pentacostal then in Baptist church. During my early 20's I studied the religion of Jehovah Witness for about 4-5 years. I say studied because it would be wrong for me to say I practiced because I still celebrated all the holidays and such.
    Once I began learning though...it really made me question the truths about the faiths in which I was raised...because logically I think Jehovah Witness makes a little more sense. It was easier for me to understand that God,Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit as 3 seperate rather than all in one(this is just one part of it that made more sense to me).
    However, I have since went back to my Baptist faith but often refer still to what I had learned while studying the religion of Jehovah Witness. Read into it..it is quite interesting and helps you to understand the bible a little better.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:56 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I was under the impression JW's don't believe in the trinity at all?

Not the OP-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i have a question to go along with this that always confused me. if Jesus is not part of the trinity and is just an angel why did he allow the disciples to worship him when he was on the earth. the Lord said, you shall have "no other Gods before Me" and if you don't pray to Christ and worship him you really aren't a christian right? idk.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 10:56 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Nevermind; lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Do JWs believe that Jesus is God's creation or part of the trinity? GOD'S CREATION
    Because up until that point in the book it did say that Jesus was God's son,YES. GOD'S SON. OUT OF/CREATED BY GOD/JEHOVAH (like our own children are)
    that he was with God from the beginning, YES.
    but then it makes the claim that Jesus was the first created person and an angel. YES. JESUS HAD A PRE-HUMAN SPIRIT EXISTENCE/PRE-EARTH EXISTENCE
    If you as a JW do not believe in the divinity of Jesus are you a true Christian? WE WOULD REASON USING THE SCRIPTURES THAT WE ARE TRUE AND FAITHFUL CHRISTIANS, YES. JESUS NEVER CLAIMED EQUALITY WITH GOD.

I know it's odd for most people as the trinity doctrine is taught as a given nowadays but it wasn't always the case. Chat more with Witnesses, if only for your own curiosity? Or visit our website if you're easier with that and do a search.

watchtower.org
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• the Lord said, you shall have "no other Gods before Me"
    ,

CAn you tell me which scripture you're thinking of? I only know of such verses in the OT which are God speaking. Eg: Exodus 20:3; Deuteronomy 5:7; 2 Kings 17:35; Jeremiah 25:6)

Can you show me where JESUS said such a thing? Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Along the lines of what KristaRene said I also have trouble with the issue of salvation itself is Jesus is not divine. How could anyone be sinless and blameless other than God? How could any sacrifice apart from God's offer salvation?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I've had a look for verses where Jesus says 'no other gods before me' and they are all quoting from the OT.

Remember whereever you see LORD or GOD in upper case the tetragrammaton of God's name (often rendered Jehovah or Yahweh otherwise) has been taken out, which makes things very confusing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2010