At what point does your OB recommend induction?

When I was pregnant my doctor was telling me he didn't like to go past 10 days overdue, but in the end he was going to let me go 2 weeks over if I wanted. It didn't make a difference because my baby ended up coming 10 days late. Anyway at my 6 week appointment yesterday he was suggesting I induce earlier next time so that I have a smaller baby. I had a 9 lbs baby which is big but doesn't seem that huge to me considering how late he was. He was hard to push out but I've healed just fine. It just made me curious what other doctor's recommend. So mine prefers to induce by 10 days overdue and likes to avoid babies getting to be more than 9 lbs. (or maybe that's just his recommendation for me) But he was willing to let me go longer if I really wanted to.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Over 1 week past due.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I went 12 days over, I was supposed to be induced on the 13th day. Anyways, I wouldn't be induced unless I was over 2 weeks.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• you mean overdue as in over the 40 week due date? you have until 42 weeks before you have to worry about being overdue. and your second baby may come sooner than the first naturally anyway. i wouldn't go for induction.... it has a high failure rate and if you thought natural contractions hurt, just imagine induced contractions are 3x stronger and more painful (and that's a fact, not an opinion). i would tell the dr. that we'll talk about that much later when it's relevant.... like when and if i'm 42 weeks and we're leaving it at that. remember that your dr. is there to give you advice.... not everything they say is always the best idea. gl :)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Everyone needs to do their own research on induction and make that choice.

I have an OB as a back-up but see a midwife. Induction is reserved only for medical issues that necessitate delivery and being pregnant more than 42 weeks is not considered a medical emergency in this practice. The size of the baby is not considered to be a reason to induce in my practice. A woman had an 11lb 4 oz girl (at 39 weeks and 6 days) just recently.

Every practice is different. Every OB and midwife is different. Fortunately, we get to choose an OB or midwife who supports our individual birthing plans. If you disagree with your OB, you can always switch.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Mine offered one week early at 39 weeks as long as my cervix is ripe.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Induction is more dangerous than a (possible) "big baby," though.

A first-time mom averages 41 weeks, 1 day of pregnancy, you were still within normal range of the average due period (38-42 weeks), anyway.

Induction was not suggested until 43 weeks (after the end of 42 weeks, of course) because that starts to fall outside of the norm.

Nothing wrong with gestating your baby naturally and letting baby choose when to come. As long as you & baby are healthy and fine, no reason to add unnecessary risks! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My OB knows that I prefer to be as intervention free as possible. So, at the 43rd week is when we'd start talking induction.

With my 1st, I went 13 days past my original due date. I did have an extra ultrasound and NSTs during that time to make sure all was well. I went into labor on my own and delivered a 9lb 2oz baby without issues.

With my 2nd, I went into labor on my own the day after my due date... so it wasn't an issue. (She was 10lbs 1oz and we still didn't have any major issues)

MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 11:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I'm the original poster, just thought I would add that this was my 3rd baby and they have gotten later and bigger each time. This was the first time I've had to deal with a possible induction and hopefully I won't have to again. But if the pattern continues my next baby should come somewhere around 43 1/2 weeks and be about 10 lbs :) So far my babies have come at 38, 40, and now 41 1/2 weeks. I would prefer not to have an induction, but I would also prefer to not push out another 9 lb baby, my 8 lb baby came out in 3 pushes, my 9 lb baby took about 45 minutes, but I don't know if weight alone really makes that big of a difference. Like people have said I don't need to make this decision until the time comes, if it ever does.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Mybella, it is not fact but a possibility. You *might* have a bigger baby, but many women do not. You never know.
    The bigger difference in pushing is how a mom pushes, her positions, movement, working with gravity, mental-emotional surrender.

(*My 10-pounder practically fell out with no tears, so easy! I was leaning forward. Instead of leaning back with my smaller baby and getting a big tear.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• it varies a lot. some OBs will recommend induction the day a woman passes her EDD. a good OB, imo, would not recommend induction until beyond 42 weeks, unless there was some indication that the baby or mother's health was compromised.

in the end, you can always refuse to be induced. gl!
    Anonymous