My 18 month old has a snotty nose. I have tried numerous over the counter meds and good ones in mind that may work?

toddler , cold

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• really not much. As nasty as snott is, it's how his little body is getting rid of the virus. Keep his sinus moist with a saline nasal spray. Find out if you can give him benadryl, that can help to dry up some of the mucus, but keep his sinus moinst with the saline spray and humidifier
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• There are no over the counter meds that should be used for children under 2 except saline, salt water. You could try taking him in the shower, the moisture may help.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Just let it take it's course, you don't have to medicate every single time a child has any kind of sickness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would give tylenol for discomfort, use saline spray for the nose and a humidifier you can get vicks medicine that mixes with the water in the humidifier and it goes into the air it really helps, it will work on you if you get a cold too. There aren't really any other over the counter meds that say they're ok to use on children that young. So I would call your child's doctor and ask if they would recommend something if you wat to use other meds.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• OTC cold meds are ineffective at best in young children. What state are you in? I'm in NY and its not even legal to market them to children under six. Saline drops and use the aspirator, a humidifier...I like to use vicks baby rub or aquaphor under the nose to prevent chapped skin from all the rubbing.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:39 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i agree with anon :30
    the snot is your body getting rid of sick(weak) and dead cells. if you stop the snot...what do you think the body will do with all those dead and sick cells? the sick cells would just remain being easy targets for any virus your lo comes into contact with. let the body do its job. everything will be fine!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• What did your pediatrician say to use? I assume if you are giving over the counter mediations you asked them for the appopriate medication and dosage and didn't guess before giving the medications, because that would be extreemly dangerous.
    There aren't many medications that are okay for a child of that age to have... I find that saline is the best choice. You can use just saline drops or you can suck out some of it too. At 18 months many kids are able to learn to blow their nose.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:41 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My daughter has a runny nose for 6 months straight until I decided to take her off milk and see what happens......It stopped almost immediately!
    Anonymous

• Are you sure that it is not an allergy?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Allergies is what I was thinking. I had a friend that was always snotty until she quit dairy products...
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2010