When can you stop worrying about SIDS?

everynight I put my son in his crib he is almost 4 months old and I worry about SIDS it is affecting my sleep.......any advice or help

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• webmd says until 12 months

Answer by admckenzie at 11:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Honestly my DD is almost 2 and when she was really congested I was terrified she'd stop breathing. You could move the crib into your bedroom, or use a fan in his room. I think its significantly unlikely after 6 months.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think it's once they can roll from back to front and front to back. SIDS is so rare, you shouldn't worry about it. That's lke worrying that you will be struck by lightning. I know it's hard, but don't stress, just don't let your baby sleep with blankets or pillows or anything too plush.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Make sure you read about all the sids risk factors. You want to have baby sleep in your room, use a fan, and make sure you breastfeed at least a year. Most people don't know about those 3.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• well since worrying does you no good...

and we all know a stressed out and worried mama is totally useless...

stop now.

enjoy your baby before you worry his new baby stage away.

Anonymous

• SIDS is very scary, specially because nothing has been pinpoint to cause it, my son is 8 months old and I still get up a few times a night to check on him-I know it does no good to worry but it's a mommy instint, some of us can't help it. I've been this way with all my kids, when I check on the baby at night I also check on my other 3 kids to make sure they are ok-it never stops :)
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I coslept with my dd until she was 8 months old because it felt safer to me to have her right there where I could feel her breathing and her little heart beating. That's the only thing that would ez my fears, but cosleeping is not for everyone and some people consider it unsafe, so I would reccomend that you keep your ds's crib clear of toys, pillows and thick blankets, lay him down on his back to sleep, also I would move the crib into your room next to the bed that should help you sleep. If you are doing these things your child is no more at risk for sids than any other child, so try not to worry so much, you need your sleep to be the best mother you can be.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My son slept with me, I didn't worry about sids. honestly. I did right at first when I put him in his crib, even though it was by my bed, but, then I got smart and slept with him. I could feel him move and hear him breath all night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Having him seen for a basic exam by a chiropractor is your best defense against SIDS. Doctors wont tell you that the reason for SIDS is a separation between the first vertebrate and the skull during delivery.......they know what causes it, but they are too afraid of lawsuits to tell you the truth! -- It happens whether a doctor helps the baby out of not, but it can be easily detected with a simple exam. And, it is easy to correct too.
    Also, if you hold your baby upside down ... it naturally aligns his spine! Maybe that why when doctors held the baby upside down after birth, and swatted them on the butt, they have a lower rate of SIDS????
    Anonymous

• i cosleppt so i never worried. actually when i try to put my kids in the crib is when i worry the most
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010