Anemic? Cat

My aunt's cat Nudge(lol) is so very skinny and his nose and gums are very pale pink. His head,neck,and tail are normal sized,but his body is anorexic looking. Any idea what could cause this? Yeah, I know he should be at the vet,but she claims she has no money for it. Sorry excuses.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• He's obviously a sick cat, and needs to see a vet. If your aunt can't afford to do so, she should probably turn the cat over to the SPCA, something like that. Yes, they may end up euthanizing it, but I think that's still better than letting him suffer. Cats are funny creatures, they usually don't display symptoms of being sick until they're REALLY sick.

As for what it is, could be anything. We're not vets, so we can't give you an answer. My cat went from a happy, fat cat to a severely malnourished creature in about a week. Turns out he was diabetic. Cost me a fortune to get him better again, and he now needs insulin shots twice a day, but he's back to his usual happy self, at least. Your aunt's cat is suffering. And that's not right.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Age? Thyroid, renal problems, liver problems, malnutrition, digestive/ absorption problems. Thyroid failure is pretty common in older cats. Kitty needs blood work done.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• he's 7
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• If the cat has fleas, it is VERY possible she has an anemia. You might try feeding it scrambled eggs. Good source of protein, good source of fat.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2010