I am 6 weeks preg with my first baby. I need to decide if I want a doctor or a midwife. HELP!

I just want to make a pro/con list for both, and go from there. I have people recommending both to me, and I'm scared, I don't know which to go with.

Either way my plan is to have a natural birth, no drugs, and in a hospital.

Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I used a midwife, but she worked at the same clinic as the doctors and I delivered at the hospital. She was a lot more "natural" in her approach and she viewed pregnancy as a natural part of life, not a medical condition! ~ I feel like I had the best of both worlds....the caring touch of a midwife, and all the medical necessities at her disposal.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• use a midwife....they are just as trained as a doctor but they cost thousands of dollars less
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I used a OB when I had my son. I was also 19 and not as researched as I thought I was. I am now 33 and after all my research and reading on here as well, I would use a midwife is I were to ever have another child. I did have my son with no drugs and no induction to start labor. But, they broke my water and gave me pitocin. My entire labor was only7 hours. I highly doubt my contractions weren't strong enough and my labor wasn't progressing fast enough like i was told. I want minimal interventions, no cervix checks and no one trying to push epidurals and crap down my throat like they tried before.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Doctor. U can still do a natural birth, and if anything goes wrong, they know how to take care of you and your baby, rather than risking you and your babies life.
    Anonymous

• To ANON: So does a midwife. And some work in the hospital...research before you pop off at the mouth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I think that a midwife would be less likely to try and convince you to get drugs. Do some research on local midwifes and see if they deliver at a hospital. I have never used a midwife but I don't think using one is a bad idea. I love the doctor who I see but doctors aren't for everyone.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Dr.
    I would not personally trust a midwife. That is my opinion tho, Do your own research
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• There is NO reason NOT to trust a midwife. They are very skilled and trained in pregnancy. Women who have midwives had better outcomes than those who have doctors. If you are wanting a natural birth you best best bet would be to go through a midwife. Over 90% of patients that an OBGYN has are augmentated during labor. Up to 50% (and in some areas more) end up with a c-section with an OBGYN. The percentage of inductions with a doctor goes up every day. The list goes on.

Certified Nurse Midwives can deliver in hospitals, work with doctors so that in the event there is an emergency that requires surgery (midwives can handle emergencies that don't require major surgery) a doctor can preform it, can prescibe medication if it becomes necessary & basically do everything a doctor can do but they usually don't need all the things doctors do in order to get a good outcome.

IMO the only reason to use a doc is if you need a c-se
    Anonymous

• there are good OBs and bad midwives. in general, i would prefer a midwife but some OBs are better than some midwives. :)

just research natural birth, decide what you want, interview a few different providers, and choose the one that will respect your wishes :)
    Anonymous

• See a midwife. They are all about natural birthing and are just as qualified as a doctor. My midwifes work under a doctor and i absolutly love them. They allow you to make decisions about birth and vaccines based on your beliefs rather than pushing what the medical world thinks you should do. They allowed me to decline the H1N1 vaccine and gave me an additional list of vitamins to take to protect me from a vaccine that no one yet knows if there are side effects for. They allow you to birth the way you want. I suggest getting the book by Ina May its called Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth. It is an awesome book that is both inspiring and so powerful to read about all thes women who have has successful, natural births. Congrats and good luck
    Anonymous