Do these sound like bug bites?

My 20m old has started getting a couple of little red bumps on his face. First it was just one, I honestly at first thought was a little pimple. I left it alone. Then the next day he had a few more of them (maybe 4), the new ones looked more like mosquito bites (raised & red). He wasn't scratching so I had decided to just keep an eye on them. Well...

As of today he has 3 on his forehead, a couple near his cheek/chin area, one on the back of his left ear, one on his neck, and then a random one on the back of one of his knees.

A few of them are now raised up to wear they almost look like pimples but they aren't puss-filled or anything, just raised up. He's not scratching them at all so I don't think that they are itchy. I've called the doctor today and left my number for the triage nurse to call me back...but does anyone have ANY idea what this could be?

MamaPyratekk

Asked by MamaPyratekk at 4:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Wash his sheets and blankets... maybe there was a bug in his bed. Did you switch shampoo or baby wash lately? Has he been playing outside a lot... maybe he's allergic to something? Good luck!!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• its his pores forming - dont mess with them - sometimes this hapens after birth my lil bro had them all on his nose and my dd had some on her chin
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Do you have a dog/cat? Do you think it might be fleas?? We had an issue with that a few years back and my kids would wake up with little dumps on them that's what made me think of fleas.

Of course I can't see them so I don't know, nor do I know if you have any pets.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Nope no fleas. We have a dog, but she's flea-less. That was one of my initial thoughts too, but we searched our fur-baby and we didn't see any and she also hasn't been scratching or anything. Hmmm
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 4:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Has he gotten shot recently? (I chatter you but I thought I would post it here) If so do he get the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine?

When my kids got that shot they broke out with a few bumps here and there, they did not itch them. It was something that just came to mind as another possibility.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I chatterboxed you back lol, basically...he got that vax but it's been months ago.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Nope haven't changed any of his washes/shampoos. He plays out on our porch every day, but he's done that for months (since we moved in) and this is the first problem we've had so that could be a possibility but I don't think that's it. I'll change his bedding after he wakes up and see if that helps it all clear up. My husband's grandma mentioned a bug in his bed too, she said that sometimes bugs (like mosquitos) like to hide UNDER their mattress (0_0). The triage nurse never called me back last night, I'll be trying to call again this morning.

Thanks for the suggestions so far ladies, I'm trying to do anything I can to figure out what the heck this is.

Oh and last night he kind of rubbed his leg near where the one on the back of his knee is. I think it may've started itching.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:35 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Okay, and I'm starting to google image search to figure out what it could be. So far I know it's definitely not bedbug bites. It looks similar to a flea bite except that they aren't so closely grouped together as the ones in the pictures I've seen, and I have no idea how that would have even happened. Not warts. Not prickly heat (but thanks to SAHMinIL for the suggestion on my chatterbox so I could rule it out). And doesn't really look like any spider bite I'm finding.
    bah lol
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• try letting him eat garlic mix it with his food and put an x on the bites with your finger nails it helps them heal faster
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I just wanted to update everyone. we're still not 100% sure what they were, but he has a doctor appointment on Monday unless they clear up. When I changed his sheets, the crib skirt had these tiny little black dots on it. When I got closer I could see that they looked like some kind of little bug's egg *gag*. I didn't find any actual insects, but these were definitely either some kind of bug POOP or bug EGG. I've completely sanitized his room because that was going to be the room for the new baby. And we're getting a bed rail today so we can go ahead and move him to his "big boy bed". Ugh I'm so disgusted! Our house is clean so I have no idea where these bugs (or rather, whatever they were!) could've come from. I can't wait until Monday to find out...*shudders*
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2008