What should i eat to diet and yet lactate sufficient milk to breastfeed my baby?

I am 30yrs old mom of two, my son still breastfeed, but i need to diet by eating the right food, and at the same time i do not want to reduce the milk value, i am afraid by not eating the right food this will affect my breastmilk.

I exercise on an eliptical for twenty minutes everyday but i try to eat less to get some fat off my tummy.

What exercise should i do and food do i eat in order to keep fit, but yet be able to provide sufficient milk for my baby.

Can exercising and eating less affect me from producing enough breast milk for my baby.

eve521

Asked by eve521 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Health

• Just make sure you drink plenty of liquids. I'm sure you know how to eat healthy so no "diet" is required. btw, you cannot spot reduce by working off just tummy fat. Fat is distributed evenly and has to come off evenly. Sometimes after a couple of children it even requires a tummy tuck, surgery so don't be upset when it doesn't come off like you want it to. An eliptical isn't for tummy muscles anyway, it's for legs and thighs and glutes for cardio not weight loss
    Anonymous

• Try looking into the Weight Watcher breast feeding lifestyle and guidelines. They help you eat way healthy and still if needed, lose weight.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You don't need to eat "less," just better. Cut out the junk, and stick to fruits, vegetables, and lean meats.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• If your diet doesn't provide the vitamins and minerals needed then they will come from your body. Think of it this way- women in Ethiopia and Haiti and all of these other third world countries breastfeed their kids, and they grow. Maybe they don't have all the necessary nutrients for good growth, but you have much higher quality food available to you here. Unless you go super crazy then your milk shouldn't be affected that much. Just try eating the best you can.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 1:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2010