What do you do if your baby dont like laying on thier belly for tummy time...he hates it!

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put toys in front of him.
    scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 12:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• also, lay down in front of him.
    scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 12:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I actually gave up on it because it was such a trial. His tummy time was while on MY tummy, otherwise I didn't bother. He never crawled but otherwise did OK.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You do it anyway so that he develops the proper muscles to sit up independently. This is a developmental milestone that he needs to achieve. Put toys in front of him or you sit in front of him and sing or do something to entertain him. Good luck, I know hearing your baby fuss is awful, but it's to help him in the end. You can do this!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Any kids I have taken care of whether they were my own or I was baby sitting. I would put them on the floor and if they cried because they didn't like it oh well. I started putting my sons down on the floor for tummy time at 2 weeks to a month old. I put toys where they could get them for a little while and then started putting the toys further away to promote scooting.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Don't force it. Put some toys near and far for enticement, but as soon as he cries because he's had enough pick him up. If you don't you will make him hate it more because then you will teach him that when he's on his belly he's stuck there. Even if he can only tolerate a few seconds, that's fine. It takes time for them to develop the strength and muscle control. Provide the opportunity a few times day and follow his cues.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i agree with amilee.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• my DS is 6 months and still hates it. Apparently it's pretty common. I've tried toys on the floor, getting on the floor with him, putting a boppy under him.... NO can do. Lately I've been laying on my back with my knees up and putting him on his tummy on my shins, facing me. Then I do exercises and make faces at him. He likes it. Unfortunately, he doesn't get upper body strengthening exercises doing this, but oh well, he'll figure it out. I'm tired of fighting with him, and several other moms on here have told me they didn't push it and their kid was fine. My DH is actually sitting up now and leans on his hands sometimes, so I figure he's using his upper body that way.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2010