Have you gone to a dentist in Mexico?

My husband needs some pretty extensive dental work done and we can't afford it at US prices. I've checked into dental schools and am still waiting for calls back. I'm looking at the option of going to Mexico, has anyone done this? Were you happy with the work? Which one did you go to? I'd appreciate all the information I can get!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Health

• I've never been to the dentist in Mexico, but here is an article I read once in the NY Times about it. It was a positive article. I know I'm always needing extensive work on my teeth. I take out dental loans and just pay them back.
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/02/07/fashion/07SKIN.html
    Anonymous

• Sorry, here are some more articles.http://tucson10.nytimes-institute.com/2010/01/09/mexican-dental-offices-thrive-as-medical-tourists-turn-south/
    http://www.free-press-release.com/news/200907/1247527205.html

Good luck and enjoy your Mexican vacation. :)
    Anonymous

• My mom will be going at the end of this month. It's someone who my family has been going to for a while. I would give you the info, but it would have to wait since I don't have it now. IM me so I keep it in my inbox and send it to you once I get a chance :)
    BTW it's in Juarez, Chihuahua. She's staying in El Paso, TX n crossing the border for the dental visit.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Depending on where you are, the added expense of travelling to Mexico, staying in a motel there for the amount of time it takes to complete the dental work, and travelling back might make the whole thing more expensive than going to a reputable dentist in the US, without the chances you take going to a third-world country, where you don't know anyone and all the other risks involved.
    Anonymous

• My step-dad went to Costa Rica - he got good treatment; but he didn't think it was a 3rd world country still; hahaha - he was a little shocked by how poor the area in general was; but the cost of a passport; the airfare; hotel etc and the dental work was still half what he would have paid just for the dental work here - and he said they took really good care of him...

IDK if I'd be able to do it myself but if you're up for it - have at it.
    Anonymous

• I have never been, but we have some family friends, that have family in TX, and they plan trips just for them to go to the dentist in Mexico....he says it's less than 1/2 the cost of here.....Let us know if it works out for ya! My teeth are REALLY bad!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 2:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Yup - all my life as a kid and my braces as a teen. No complaints. I lived in a border town though so crossing the border was no biggie the dentist I went to was about 15 minutes on foot. I loved my ortho in Mex, he was awesome! He was so great his work was well known and he was the town favorite, he was so well known that when I did start going to the dentist in the U.S he complimented the nice work on my teeth and asked for my ortho's name, when I told him he said: "figures, all of his work I've seen has been flawless..." My mom even went to my ortho when she was young, I really did love the work he did with my jacked up teeth.
    Find a reputable Dentist, you can even find them in the "tourist zones". Alot of Dentist cater to American patients and have office staff that speak english, because they know dental is more expensive in the U.S.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 5:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• yes i been to the dentist in mex.actually i go for check ups twice a year,since im from mexico i can visit my family and get my appoinments with the dentist is way cheaper and they do a good job.so just get inform and look for a good license dentist!
    Anonymous

• Yup. I went to Mexico to have two root canals.

The dentists in Mexico have to go through more schooling than here in the states and they did an awesome job.

They were understanding, spoke great English, gave me all the "stress relieving gas" I needed and even took all major credit cards.
    CrystalsMuse

Answer by CrystalsMuse at 7:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2010