How do I help her understand that Grandpa isn't Daddy?

My oldest DD is 2 and lately she has been trying to figure out where her daddy is. (My husband left a year and half ago and has had little to no contact with her or her sister) I live near my parents and my Dad is the positve male figure in her life and I am so grateful he is willing to be that for my girls, but she has started calling him Daddy and I don't want to make a big deal and make her feel bad, but I want her to understand he's Grandpa, not Daddy. Any suggestions or advice?

jillybean703

Asked by jillybean703 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD did the same her dad is around but she will hear my sisters calling my dad, dad so my daughter would do the same. I had to keep reminding her thats grandad..untill she got it. shes 2 & she knows Now who is who..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 1:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Now why would she even call him that if dad has been gone so long? Just keep correcting her and/or call him Grand daddy.
    Anonymous

• just keep calling him grandpa in front of her and i am sure she'll catch on. she's only 2. don't make too big of a deal with it.
    Anonymous

• I had to have this talk with my son over his grandmother, only she is the one who got him to call her that, and I was just straight forward with him. I said, "That is grandma. You call her grandma." It went fine and he understood without feeling bad.
    Anonymous

• She'll know the difference in time. my niece insisted on calling my mama, aunt mommy he whole life.
    I agree with anon 1:19- I wouldn't make a bid deal about it she'll find her own way. When my niece's mommy made a fuss about stuff she would pretty much just make a point of doing things behind her back.
    she'll call me by name in front of everyone else, but when she thinks no one is looking she calls me mom-
    From what she's told me she gets punished if she says it in front of mommy-
    I'm sorry your daughter is looking for Daddy - I wish I could magically take her pain away- I'll be sending you good thoughts-
    Anonymous

• I know this is forever ago, but I just read the last comment and had to say something. She does not get punished if she calls Grandpa Dad in front of me. I think you just misunderstood and meant nothing malicious so I'm not taking offense, just want to clarify. I just want her to understand without hurting her. She stopped calling him that for awhile and I'm pretty sure she understands now, but has just recently asking for "Daddy" again and it just breaks my heart.
    jillybean703

Comment by jillybean703 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2010