I can't help but think she's behind... is that a normal feeling?

I bring this up to DH and he always says she's not... but I feel like there is something wrong (have since she was born). She turned 2 in Nov, says 4-6 word sentences... but it takes her a while to get out her own independent sentence! Like when she combines word's she's never combined before it takes a long time for her to get it out! Otherwise, she runs, jumps off everything, does somersaults, dances and sings everything!!! If a kid picks on her she stands right up and says STOP! She counts to 7, knows all her colors and shapes. She knows certain letters on certain days, she's VERY friendly when we do go out in public... I just feel like something isn't right! Is this normal or should I just chill out and relax?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to some extent i think that is pretty normal, wondering if your child is ok, wondering if you should be doing something different or something more. sounds like her hips are fine despite the prediction of not walking!!!
    she sounds perfectly normal to me. try to relax and enjoy the words she is putting together now. they really do grow so fast, enjoy the moment, don't waste time worrying in the moment!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• trust your gut. Talk to the doc
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I'd bring it up at your well child visit, but I wouldn't worry otherwise. Usually they do screenings and ask questions that let them know if there's anything to worry about. But she sounds right on target. Do you have friends with kids you're comparing her to or something? Why have you thought there was something wrong since she was born? Have you mentioned any of these concerns to your pediatrician?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• well, if you were saying things like I want to make sure she does certain things ahead of other kids I'd think you were worrying too much, but if it's a gut feeling, then maybe you should try to pinpoint it as to what you think it may be.

I hate to scare anyone, but I'm a example.
    born with something in my head that was shoving in on my brain- all my life I'd kept saying that something was wrong- like why couldn't I run anymore? why did math that used to be easy suddenly come hard?
    I was always just told that it was nothing and that I wasn't paying attention when I was suddenly copying math problems down from the board wrong.

When I reached teens I thought I was having a stroke since I would have numbness and tingling on one side-don't even get me started on speech-They found the it when I was about to turn 16-guess what was the first thing I heard?
    "why didn't you ever say anything!?"
    trust you gut-good luck
    Anonymous

• It may be nothing, it may be something. Get her evaluated for your peace-of-mind; if there is an issue, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i dont think there is anything wrong, except with you. your 2 year old is talking, walking, counting, everything she should be doing, and all you can do is think there is something wrong. So you either think that children should pop out doing these things, or you are begging for attention and showing off you child.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Sounds like she's farther ahead at this age than my son was. My son was barely saying 1-2 word sentences when he turned 2. He'll be 3 in a couple of weeks and starts speech therapy in April. He's been seeing someone from Early Childhood Intervention for a year. If you are concerned, I would talk to your pedi about it.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 2:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• OP here: Pedi says she's fine and ahead but when she was born her hips were dislocating and we were told she wouldn't walk. Maybe it's just that's still stuck in my head... idk but thanks for you input ladies!
    Anonymous