Step Parent Adoption

Has anyone filed for Step Parent Adoption and not had it go through? If so, why didn't it go through?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• My brother's didn't - he was trying to adopt his wife's lil girl. BUT - it never made it all the way through, period, because their lawyer was being a real @$$ about it - they fired him and have to start over. My BIL adopted his wife's son - they couldn't afford to do it through a lawyer, so they printed the paperwork from a gov't website, filled it out, went before a judge, and all went through picture perfectly - cost them $400-500. Through a lawyer it was going to cost them anywhere from $3,000-5,000. My brother and SIL are out almost $2,500 too already from the first lawyer's screw-ups.
    Anonymous

• My best friend had a step parent adoption and it went through. The child was given her own lawyer, then one for my friend and one more for MIA "dad". Most of the time all you need to prove is 1. Absent parent has not supported the child in 5mths -1 yr(differs state to state), 2. Absent Parent has not been involved in childs life and hasnt seen child in 6mths- 1 yr(again time differs state to state, and that the Absent parent doesnt WANT to be involved. If you petition and have these you should win.

Answer by gemgem at 1:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• OP-Thanks, it's good to hear encouraging stories. Bio-dad hasn't been around in 5 yrs. He's been paying support just recently again because he's working after I began the adoption process. He did not pay for over 2 yrs. previously. The statute in my states are 2 years both no contact & no support. I'm scared it won't go through because he's paying now again.
    Anonymous

• I have done 2 SPAs and both went through. I adopted my husband's child and my husband adopted mine.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2010