Baby Gate- my son figured it out!!!

I have the old fashion baby gate that is like an accordian and slides into its self when opened and expands out when opening. Well my son (14 months) has been very curious here lately about the gate and this morning walked up to it and figured out that all you have to do is pull up on the latch to open it. I have turned the latch away from his reach but he is pretty tall for his age so it won't be long and he will figure this way out. Any suggestions on maybe how to keep him from opening it w/o having to buy new gates?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put some duck tape over the latch. good luck. lol
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• maybe you could just teach him to stay out of the certain part of the house? even with stairs, i never used a baby gate. children need to learn and explore. my dd knew that she could not go up or down the stairs without someone with her.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I did that with my medicine when I was a kid- it was left out and I figured out how to open the child safe cap- didn't drink it though.
    imagine how surprised my mom was when I opened it for her- told her that was what my dad had me do because he couldn't get it open-
    I swear she was trying not to laugh-

but I agree with the duct tape suggestion-
    Anonymous