Allergy Meds?

What age can you give a lo zyrtec otc meds? My lo,14 months old, has HORRIBLE allergies.

His dr has mentioned it to me before but I wasn't sure when I could give it to him. He has been taking benydryl since he was about 10 months old 1/2 tsp. It doesn't seem as effective now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I see an allergist and so do my toddlers. He says Zyrtec is far safer than Benedryl. He said that Benedryl is intended for a severe allergic reaction like to food or a bee sting and not to treat seasonal allergies.

Children's liquid Zyrtec, according to my allergist, is safe starting at 6 months old. He recommends starting at the lowest dose, which is 1/4 teaspoon. If needed you can go up to 1/2 teaspoon. 1 teaspoon is the maximum that can be given if he weighs more than 24 pounds.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Okay thank you...yes he weighs 25 lbs :)
    Anonymous

• You can give Zyrtec. One of my pediatrician's affiliates recommended it four our daughter at around that age. I would be sure that your own pediatrician is recommending it right now, though. That's odd that he's already affected by seasonal allergies... Our allergist (my daughter has food allergies) says those don't usually begin until at the *earliest* the second year of life, but usually the third. Are you seeing an allergist? Because our allergist had us stop the Zyrtec that the pediatrician had suggested...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You should call your child's doctor.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• what is the source of the allergy(ies)?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• happy2bmom25: seems to flare when it rains
    Anonymous

• i really don't have any ideas for you , other than see an allergist. it seems like seasonal allergies would be better durnig rain, b/c the rain would get the pollen out of the air, so to speak. it should be noted that many people have issues with household cleaners. we use a little vinegar mixed with water to clean almost everything, and baking soda mixed with a little water for scrubbing duties! also, dairy and gluten are the #1 and #2 food allergens/ sensitivities. i would avoid medications until you were sure what you are medicating for. but that is just me.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2010