do anybod kids or tween have facebook

i want to know anybody kids have facebook becuse my do i sit there and watch her .she chate with family and friends i want to know do anybody what are kids be friends on facebook like pen pals.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No - not even the 13 year old. I don't think it's appropriate for kids. If you have to lie about their age to sign them up, then it probably isn't a good idea. They will have plenty of time for that kind of stuff when they are older.
    Anonymous

• Not anymore. One of my 12 yr olds friends signed him up (lying about his age) and within a month his friends were posting inappropriate things on his site. One of them even stole his password and starting posting inappropriate things to his friends and family members. We made him delete all of the appropriate postings and apologize to all of his friends. Then we changed his password and disabled his account. We don't feel he is mature or responsible enough to have an account yet.
    Anonymous

• They sure do. My 9 & 10 1/2 year olds are both on there. I know all of the people they have added & they are family & family friends. They like to play the games & chat with family. They are building relationships with people they probably would not get to know very well if at all otherwise.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• NO, because the TOS age for Facebook is 13 and anyone that allows their child to have a facebook page before that age is teaching their children that it is okay to lie and cheat.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 10 and has a facebook that I monitor heavily. She uses it mostly to play games and talk to long distance relatives. I have the password and check it often for appropriateness and until she shows me that she is not using it responsibly, I will continue to let her do so.
    Anonymous

• Mine do not. My husband supervises their computer access and will not permit chat lines. They can phone their friends if they wish.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My kids are a lot older - they are just turned 17 and almost 16, and they have facebook accounts - BUT - we do monitor them, we have their passwords (even though we haven't needed to use them), and they have to have both my dh and I as "friends".

Plus, every person on there falls into one of 2 groups - people that they know personally, from "real life" (no "well, I know so and so in real life, and this person is their friend on facebook, so I can friend them, too" crap.) OR - it's a relative that we have said it was ok for them to friend - we're military, and live pretty far from some of our extended family, and my dh has some older relatives (like great aunts and stuff), that had other family set them up with facebook, and they like to see what we're up to, pics of the kids, etc. My kids don't really remember them in person, but they know them from writing to them, pictures, etc. - sort of like 80 yr old pen pals :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• cont

But honestly, I wouldn't have let them have accounts before they were teens, and because so many times people put pictures and stuff on there, I wouldn't let them friend someone that didn't fall into one of the 2 categories I mentioned (but then again, my dh and I don't friend people on facebook we haven't met in real life / are related to, either...) Because just because they SAY they are, say, a 10 yr old girl looking for a pen pal, doesn't mean they aren't REALLY some 40 yr old guy living in his mom's house playing with himself while he chats away with some kid he met online. :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Nope. They aren't old enough by TOS standards and I won't lie for them to sign them up. Plus they don't need to be on Facebook. Heck, they aren't even allowed to use the computers (too much fighting involved and they never follow the rules). My 9yo got into all sorts of trouble for getting on my computer while we were out and then getting on my Facebook. She just wanted to play with the fish tank app I have but she's not supposed to be touching my computer and definitely shouldn't be online. And she doesn't understand why she can't ever use the computer (because she's sneaky like that and lies to get what she wants and refuses to follow the rules).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Minimum age is 13. Letting them on earlier than that is teaching your child that rules don't matter.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2010