AM I EXPECTING TO MUCH

I went to a place that I heard about for my son, who is pending a autism diag. for a free evaluation. Basically they would do a 3 hour eval and tell me their findings based on what they observed. They also have a free parenting program as well. Anyway when I got there no one was at the desk I stood arount and watched people come in and out and finally I starting peering down the hall to get someones attention. Finally someone came up to the front, but never asked if they could help me so I said excuse me I am here for the eval and she said ok hold on and went to the back and brought a lady up there that looked like she was about 19. And she told me to come on back and she would be doing the eval. We went to a room and she went and got a lot of toys and periodically would try to get him to play with them and make note, and ask me question alot of the time nothing. We went to another area for him to play maybe 10 min the

momoftwokids547

Asked by momoftwokids547 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sounds like a scam
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• No, especially if they are diagnosing such things like Autism.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 2:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I wasnt finish so i am using this space to finish. Anyway when we were playing other team members were in the room playing with their kids so I was making conversation by asking did they work there, was that part of the therapy. Needless to say that was awkward because they wasn't trying to even talk to me. I thought it odd since obviously I was there as a parent looking to put my child there for therapy I really thought they would be a little more freiendly and even the lady that was doing the eval could have introduced me to them, it was kind of weird. The eval was about 2hrs instead of the 3 she said. I was expecting a couple of people to do it. I guess I thought it would be a little more professional. I know it was free, but this suppose to have been a preview to what I would be paying 15 -25 hr for if I decide to place him there. Any thoughts good or bad would be appreciated.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• It doesn't sound like they handled the situation very well....I guess you can see what they say in the evaluation anyway. Maybe they just screen kids for their program...
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• We went through stages of evaluations along this journey. Some of them were like you described, others were more in depth...and when you go for the WHOLE diagnosis...it is VERY much more in depth.

I think htey could have been a little more professional and friendly. But as far and the observation...sounds about normal.
    Anonymous