i got my cardilidge pierced, 3 days later, they are really sore and a little swollen....

is it a for sure sign of an infection??

when i got my other piercings, they seemed like they were gonna be infected for sure after about a couple days but then after about a week, they started healing up nicely.

would i know for sure if its an infection if they stick and they dont turn when turning them??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• As long as there is no odor when you rub your finger around the piercing. (The infection will come out of the piercing and will get on your finger and it will stink). It just sounds like a regular cartilage piercing. I have had 7 cartilage piercings and they all were red and swollen for at least a week post piercing. ESPECIALLY if you are sleeping on that ear. :)

They take a lot longer to heal then a lobe piercing, but are more prone to infection. Make sure you are cleaning and turning the earring regularly. Also make sure after you bath or shower to take time to rinse and then clean the piercing because shampoo/conditioner can cause the piercing to become infected.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• yes, It does sound like an infection and it sounds like you have not been tuning them enough. so use you antiseptc and get those things moving before it gets worse!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• well they havent gotten to the point of sticking when turning...so i was wondering if i have to wait for that point in order to know if it is a for sure infection
    Anonymous

• Cartilage piercings take a long time to heal, i have 6 of them, all were swollen in the beginning and one of them took 6 months to heal. They are not like normal piercings, they take a lot longer to heal. Mine were never infected but were swollen, red and hurt a lot.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I had the same experience as cynthje. I couldn't sleep on that side for about 6 months or so because it was too painful. It wasn't infected (got it checked)...it just took longer to heal.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I kept my cartilidge piercings in for 18 months, every morning they were red, and they never felt great.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• thanks you guys were definetly helpful!!
    Anonymous

• DON'T turn them. it will rip the skin. I had mine for 3 years and had to take them out because they kust never felt good, no infection, but, red, hurt..LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Google cauliflower ear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2010