How old are your kids and what chores do they do around the house?

I have 4 kids, and we are fixing to redo the chore lists for everyone. I am thinking the oldest 2 at least are ready for some new responsibilities. What kind of chores do your kids do around the house?

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 2:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• 13 year old- does all her own laundry, helps with family laundry (towels), feeds dogs, takes out trash, empties and loads dishwasher and washes anything by hand that won't fit or isn't dishwasher safe, picks up dog poop in backyard, keeps her room and bathroom tidy (well somewhat tidy), vaccuums and sweeps when asked, helps with younger siblings when asked, and helps with cooking or setting table when asked.

My other kids are toddlers. They carry their plates to the kitchen and help pick up their toys. They "help" with dishes and laundry, but at this point they are still learning.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 3 and she has to clean up her toys, help set the table, and she helps put away the silverware. She thinks it's fun.
    Anonymous

• My dd is 8 and she sweeps the kitchen. She brings her laundry to me and folds her undies and towels. She runs errands to my neihgbors when I need her to. Rake the yard. She hates ALL of it. What a toot. She doesnt always have the right attitude.

My 3 year son likes to helps with everything in the kitchen...consider myself extrememly lucky! lol He and his little brother like to feather dust. Actually my 3 yr old likes to be my helper with everything.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• my oldest are 6 and almost 5. i am pregnant now, so they get to do a lot of running up and down stairs for me, and "fetching" things for me. they set the table, clean up toys(theirs and their 2 yo twins toys sometimes too) and once in a while they wash the baseboards.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• We have a chore wheel so everyone's, including me and my DH, chores change week to week. We decided that it is important that the kids get to see that we have chores and things to take care just as much as they do. This also helps them realize that it takes a whole family to keep the house going. It also stopped my kids from whining that the parents don't do anything. On the wheel we have dishes (helping with the dishes my kids are 4 and 5), sweeping, mopping, laundry, picking up the floor (toys, clothes, etc), There are more, can't think right now. It is amazing at the amount of chores some of the kids have. What do the parents do?
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• 9yo girl, 8yo boy and 7yo girl: keep their rooms picked up, do their own laundry (without help except the 7yo who doesn't know how to turn on the machines), clean up any messes they make in all the other rooms, empty the dishwasher when asked, take the trash out to the alley when asked, carry groceries, scrub counters/tables after making a mess, sweep floors if asked or if they made a mess, keep the yards picked up. Basically their chores are anything that have to do with the keep and care of them...cleaning up their own messes.
    3yo girl: keep room picked up, dirty clothes in the hamper, fold and put away clean clothes, clean up messes made in other rooms, help unload dishwasher when asked, help carry groceries, help keep yard cleaned up.
    Each year we add more responsibility. The older kids just learned to do laundry in August.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My 3 year old puts his toys away, puts his clothes in the hamper, brings his dishes to the sink, throws disposable items in the garbage and cleans up his own spills. Thats about it so far. Although he does like to try to help me mop and cook :)
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i have 1 son and hes 3 ill have him help but silverware away, or pick up after himself/his room,
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i have a 11,8,6 and 3 yr old...I have the 11 and 8 yr old cleaning the 3 bathrooms,and doing the dishes they switch between the 2 of them sometimes,trash take out,mop the kitchen floor...sometimes...my 6 yr old lives here all the time so he does the dishes on the week days with my help,trash with his dad, he is in charge of toy clean up with my youngest son, He gets the dirty clothes from the bathrooms, sometimes helps me do the laundry, dusts every 2 days and helps vacuum with his hand held dirt buster for the stairs, the 3 yr old dusts, puts the pans away ( cause they are down low enough for him) picks up toys,washes windows with me,helps me push the vacuum. All the boys are in charge of them bedroom they must be presentable by the end of the week or no allowance. i would like to add...once they are done then we sit down do studies,play games or they go outside and have fun!
    Mom4life1015

Answer by Mom4life1015 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2010