Closet and Dresser "odor"

My clothes come out of my dresser and my closet smelling like dresser and closet. I don't know how else to describe it. I just moved, and the place I live in is pretty new construction, and it's a walk-in closet, so I wouldn't have thought it would smell. My dresser is pretty old, but it's clean. It's kind of a musty smell, but not really. How do I prevent this?

MeandMyBabes

Asked by MeandMyBabes at 2:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Scented drawer Liners? Maybe put a dryer sheet in each drawer? Keep the closet door cracked, put a bucket of Damp-RID in the closet to suck up any moisture and add a cedar block for a woody smell.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I am curious what the new closet smells like? Construction/paint/lumber? Maybe spray everything with febreeze???
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Buy those little potpourri satchels and put them in the drawers..It could be the water too, when I lived with my parents they had well water and it smelled different.

Anonymous

• I just realized that the likely reason my sweatshirt has kind of a musty odor is from my other clothes in the closet that came from my ex's house; that's how his house smelled. Duh! I think I'll try the dryer sheets in the drawers. I tried it for moving my clothes in totes, but it didn't really work : (
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• At walmart they have these little things you can put in your drawers or closets or whatever and they are only a dollar and they work really well -- we moved into this house and it smelled like old lady lol... but now it smells like fresh linen lol -- I also put some in front of our air vents and whenever it kicks on you can really smell it
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Put dryer sheets in your dresser drawers. Or line the drawers with contact paper. Or take an old pair of nylons and put potpourri in the foot tie it shut and cut off the excess.

You can buy potpourri satchels too but I prefer the nylon ones because you can still get super cheap panty hose at Wal Mart and imho potpourri loses it's smell kind of quickly and I like being able to switch out the bundles frequently.

Try taking all the clothes out of the closet and spray the carpet in there with febreeze. Then replace the clothing hang some potpourri satchels or get some of those tin or tablet car fresheners and set those in there. Make sure to leave the closet door open a bit for awhile or your clothes will be overwhelmingly scented with the air fresheners... Another way to keep the scent from being overwhelming is to just barely open the package or leaving the lid half on the tin fresheners.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2010