My five year old is having problems going to the restroom.

Today he had to go poop (sorry tmi) and he said it hurt his butt and when I looked his behind was red and had a little bit of blood on it,he said it only hurts when he goes poop.Can it be because his poo is to hard or something?

goingbanannas

Asked by goingbanannas at 2:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Health

• My son is 6 and we have been dealing with constipation for a few months now.

I can tell you....HIGH fiber, lots of water are what most people will tell you...and that is TRUE!
    But my son eats more fiber and drinks more water than me and my husband combined...and still has issues.

My son was impacted and the poop was hard and BIG...he would also have small accidents that he couldnt help b/c of all the pressure...some of the watery poop escapes around the large stuck poop. He was so backed up that his skinny little body had a pouch below his belly button....it was poop backed up... :(

Sorry...graphic...

So we talked to his Dr and began to give him Miralax to keep him cleaned out and regular!!!

It has helped a TON...no more pain and no more accidents...
    Anonymous

• It's called constipation. Your child is not hydrated enough. He needs to drink more water. Some fiber would be good for him too. Feed him more fruits.
    Anonymous

• Lots of water. No milk. Raisin Bran. That should help now. I would make sure he is getting enough fiber in his diet. Lots of fruits and veggies.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Lots of water
    Little or no meat, simple/white grains, processed sugars, and dairy
    Build meals around fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• Lot's of water. Add benefiber to his food & drinks. It's tasteless & colorless. He won't even know it is there. Too much fiber foods, like shredded wheat, can cause constipation. Add more fruits to his diet.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2010