7 month old on regular milk ?

i just started watching a little 7 month old boy last week -- the first day she gave me formula for him -- the next day ( up until now) she said to just give him milk...he is just on regular baby food ( like bananas, berries, sweet potatoes -- the kind in the jars) ..i have him most of the day and he doesnt eat that much -- which i guess because he is getting full from the milk ---- I was just asking this because, I was always told with my kids not to give them regular milk until after 12 months ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• He really should not be on regular milk unless a doctor said so.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• well I asked my cousin ( who is dating her an helps with taking care of him) and he said no she just thought he was ready for it -- he doesnt go to a pedi. just a "family Dr" ...
    Anonymous

• No, in the first year, babies get the bulk of their nutrients from either breast milk or formula. They should NOT have regular milk till they're a year old. The baby food at this point is mostly for practice, he still needs formula or breast milk....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Yeah thats hard cause i am pretty sure he isn't supposed to be on real milk yet, but its really hard to tell a mom that she is doing something wrong. We didn't put my son on whole milk till he was a year and even then we mixed it with formula to make sure he could tolerate it.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• my son started drinking cow's milk when he was like 8 or 9 months old. but we had the drs ok to start introducing it to him , but he was alreayd eating table food to0-
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• that is what i thought too -- but I really dont know what to say to her
    Anonymous

• Cow's milk is not recommended until age 12 months. The absolute youngest that formula should be replaced with milk is 10 months.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Even my family practice doctor knew enough to tell us not to give our baby real milk until 1 year of age, not that I needed to be told. That's a crap excuse.
    Anonymous

• not till 1 year thats what i have always heard
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• could you just say that you don't feel comfortable giving it to him? print out some articles on when a baby is ok to have it and why they aren't before. Maybe having some facts on your side will help. Its not a fun situation to be in, but as a care provider to the child, you have to advocate for him. you could ask for a note from the dr to verify that there's really someone in the wings approving this if she stands by the family "doctor" good luck!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 3:01 PM on Mar. 12, 2010