A new mom...I have a bunch of questions please answer what you can. I appricate it!

So i decided to breast feed my baby is 1 week 2 days old. My boobs hurt so much. I pump and pump and they just keep swelling up with so much milk. Im pummping an extra 20 ounces a day. Will i have to pump like this the entire time i breast feed? Will my boods always hurt like this? Will they always leak? Will they always be soar to touch and feel so hard? How long does all this last? I wanted to breastfeed for one year but this is just so painful.... Please give me advice...Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You maybe pumping too much, that's why the hurt. If they hurt and you're not producing you maybe engorged. Pain will go away. I have a couple of e-mails from LLL but since your anonymous, i can not send to you. This add an answer has a word limit. Here's part of the e-mail: *How often baby is breastfeeding (or how often mother is pumping). Milk fat tends to increase when feeding frequency (or pumping frequency) increases. So the more often mother nurses or pumps the more calories in her milk. *How long baby has been breastfeeding. At the beginning of a breastfeed mother tends to release watery, lower calorie milk that satisfies baby's thirst. As the feed progresses mother releases more and more of the high calorie, fatty "hindmilk". *The effectiveness of baby's latch. A baby that is latched shallowly, at the end of the nipple tends to get more low calorie "foremilk". A baby with an effective, deep latch.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 2:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• first off yay for breast feeding! its such a great thing for baby- for however long u decide to do it!
    as for the boobies:
    ur milk as come in so thers an abundance of it. the more u pump the more ur breast make milk.eventually ur milk production will not tapper will make just enough for ur little one. what u r feeling might be engorment. try placinge alternating ice packs and heat packs to them. or wrapping them in frozen wash clouths. there hard b/c ur milk has let down. this is also how u will know when u need to pump or excrete the milk. ur breast will get hard and then u know oh.. ok im back up time to pump. it wont be this bad i promise! once u get used to it. id give it a week two at tops!
    if u r having diffiuclties try caling ur local hospital's nursery and asking for the lactations nurse. she will guid u thrw this and may even come to ur house! also if u need to take a warm shower...continue....
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Stop pumping! Your body produces milk according to how much is taken out. The more you pump the more you will produce. 20 oz a day is crazy...no wonder you're in pain. Stop pumping and just feed your baby at the breast on demand it your body (and boobs) will straighten out.

They may always leak. Mine do. They will leak less, but you may always have to wear pads just in case. Most women eventually stop leaking.

They are only sore to the touch because you are engorged from the constant pumping. It will go away. Feed on demand and when they get hard and uncomfortable take a hot shower and squeeze just a little milk out with your hands, just enough to take the pressure off but not enough to stimulate more production.

Since you've gotten yourself engorged, mastitis may be a possibility. Keep a watch out for red spots and a fever. If that develops, call your dr.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• cont. Try this website for the engorged breasts. http://www.babycenter.com/0_engorged-breasts_231.bc
    I find babycenter website very helpful, plus they provide e-mails of what to expect each week. Helpful to new mothers.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 2:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• dont pump! it will only make your body produce more. you want your supply to meet the demand of your baby, which in time will match and the engorgement and leakage will go away. nurse on demand!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• No, they won't always be like that. After a while, your body knows how much milk it needs to produce and your boobs will start feeling a lot like they did before you were producing milk. By pumping so much, you're actually telling your body to produce more milk. All the advice I read about when I was pregnant said to wait until 6 wks before pumping. Also, there are creams you can buy that will help with any nipple soreness you might have.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would start pumping MUCH less. By pumping, you are keeping your supply up to where it is. If you exclusively feed your baby with your breasts, the amount will level off to what your baby needs. It will NOT continue to be this painful. You may leak for a few months, but it won't be painful for that long. I would sign up for the Breastfeeding Moms group on Cafe Mom. They offer some really good advice. Hang in there, though. And take it easy on the pumping. Maybe a little bit for comfort, but just enough to ease the discomfort, nothing more. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Oh, I am so sorry this has been rough on you! !st, dont pump more than just to relieve your pain a bit, any more and it will stimulate to keep making that much milk. Your breasts work on a supply and demand, pumping increases the demand, although not as much as a nursing baby does. The leaking should stop in another week or 2. If you are really engourged, which it sounds like you are, try to get in a hot shower, and don't express, but let the water hit your chest and you will release some milk, it will feel a lot better. And I KNOW it sounds weird, but put cabbage leaves in your bra. Cold ones, something in the cabbage leaves relieves soreness. It really works, try it. The first few weeks are so so hard for so many women, but if you can make it past the first month you are going to be much better. 2 weeks old is when the discomfort peaks for a lot of women, but you can do this, and it is so good for your baby.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• continues.....
    dont place ur breast in direct shower head. this will only hurt worse shower with them away from the water. but in doing this u may leak and very well may be alot. but this will help u let some of the extra milk come out so ur not in so much pain.
    dont worry about wasting ur milk either. u will be making plenty enough of it. and remeber u can always buy the storage bags, and store some of this extra milk u got in the freezer for a rainy day! like in case u want to ahve a margartia one night! lol. :D
    hope this info helps and i hope u get teh ansers u r looking for :D
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• The more you pump, the more your body will create. It thinks it needs it for the baby...your body doesnt realize you are doing it to release pain.

Stop pumping and just feed baby. You will go through a day or two of pain, then your body should regulate itself.

KUDOS to you for breastfeeding!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2010