Throwing up?

I just had a baby 3 weeks ago. I also have a 3 year old. My daughter (3) when I put her in time out makes herself throw up. It’s awful. I don’t know what to do. Do I let her sit there do I take her out of time out. She has done this twice before but now that the baby is here she does it often. I’m so beside myself this is how my hubby and I discipline her I don’t know what else to do. Is this normal at all. I feel like it’s my fault or something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How is she making herself throw up? Is it intentional or is a side effect from hard crying? I'm a little confused...
    Anonymous

• No she does not even hav=ve to be crying much. She just starts caughing, then gagging and then she throws up. Once she starts its like all the food in her belly from that day comes up. It seems so easy for her to do.
    Anonymous

• OP -No she does not even hav=ve to be crying much. She just starts caughing, then gagging and then she throws up. Once she starts its like all the food in her belly from that day comes up. It seems so easy for her to do.
    Anonymous

• I have heard of kids doing this and even On stupid jon and kate plus 8, one of her kids did it and she made her carry a bucket.. Not sure what I would do but if she is really doing it on purpose to get out of discipline, maybe that would stop it?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• well first of all make her sit there in the puke until her time out is done. then make her clean up the mess.... paper towels, magic eraser if it gets on the wall, put her clothes in the hamper or washer and put on new clothes. she'll get tired of it. don't make a big deal out of it, just hand her the stuff and say time for you to clean up your mess.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i agree with princess beth. and if you aren't comfortable doing that or the process takes too much time... start taking things away from her. take the object away that is causing the first problem. take another away when she causes herself to gag stuff up...and also have her HELP clean up HER mess.
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 3:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I wouldnt let the puking stop me from using my discipline method...then she will know it works....the issue may get worse.

I would get her a bucket...tell her to puke in it. If she misses...then let her sit there until her time out is up...then change her.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• well first of all make her sit there in the puke until her time out is done. then make her clean up the mess.... paper towels, magic eraser if it gets on the wall, put her clothes in the hamper or washer and put on new clothes. she'll get tired of it. don't make a big deal out of it, just hand her the stuff and say time for you to clean up your mess...

OP HERE- GOOD IDEA. I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE AND WAS VERY CONCERENED. I JUST WAS AFFRAID SHE WOULD CHOKE OR SHE WOULD GET SICK FROM THROWING UP SO MUCH. ...THANKS
    Anonymous