Would you rather buy a baby item from a mom or someone with no children?

Just curious...but I have been making baby items; slings, blankets, cloth diapers, etc...for about 3 yrs...ever since I had my ds in 2007.
Now my SIL (who loves to jump in on whatever I am doing) is starting her own line of slings and blankets...I was annoyed, and pointed out that she doesn't even have children, and doesn't have experience with anything baby related...so why is she doing this??? I guess I just think if I'm buying a baby item from a small home-based business I would feel more confident in the product knowing it was comign from someone with baby/child knowledge...your opinion???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you, I would feel more comfortable buying a baby item made from a mother rather than someone who had no children.
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't say one is better than the other. It more depends on what works for each individual customer...
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 3:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i too agree with you. how annoying!
    Anonymous

• Frankly, I'd probably pay more attention to the items themselves than to the parental status of the person selling them. It is annoying that your SIL is copying your business. Why don't you suggest to her that you don't need the competition, and suggest other handmade items she could sell?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Your SIL sounds like she needs to find something of her own to do! I agree with you! Mothers know best!
    Anonymous

• Real moms know what is practical with a child..Wow what a B*TCH, I would be so pissed, like geez get your own idea lady.

Anonymous

• When I think of buying a sling or something else like that homemade, I would prefer it came from someone who was experienced with wearing a baby and using slings, so in that instance, yes I would think a person with a child would be better suited to make that type of product. kwim?
    Anonymous

• well a person who has been running a daycare for 20 years for example would know more about kids than a mom with a newborn, so it depends on the situation. but from what u described i don't think that's the case with u and sil. but she sounds like a copy-cat type person..... they are so annoying
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• if you dont like the fact that she is copying you, then that's one thing. But claiming that she couldn't be good because she doesn't have children doesn't hold much weight with me-
    Anonymous

• I would be mad is my sis did that..
    but really i would buy from whoever was cheaper and had better designs. Their baby status would have no bearing on my decision.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 3:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010