Advice please...

I just had a baby 3 weeks ago. I also have a 3 year old. My daughter (3) when I put her in time out makes herself throw up. All she does is start coughing then gagging then throws up. It’s awful. I don’t know what to do. She does it to get out of timeout. Do I let her sit there? Do I take her out of time out and rinse her off right away. She has done this twice before but now that the baby is here she does it often. I’m so beside myself this is how my hubby and I discipline her I don’t know what else to do. Is this normal at all. I feel like it’s my fault or something she is having a hard time adjusting to the new baby.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• whenever i first started doing timeouts for m 2 year old dd she would say she'd have to pee and then id let her go and she'd get outta time out..if i said wait until after the 2minutes are up(she CAN hold her bladder) then she'd pee all over herself..so then i let her go pee but then i put her right back in time out...now she doesnt pull the "i have to pee" thing in time out..so when she pukes on herself clean her up and put her right back in time out. eventually she'll understand "just bc i puke doesnt mena time out is over"
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp
    Clean her up and put her back in time out, start the time over. Eventually she'll realize that throwing up isn't going to take away her punishment.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 3:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i agree with anon :31. also make sure you aent constantly telling her "no" or using negatives now that the baby is here. if that makes sense. encourage her to help. tell her how great she is. and try to spend quality time with her. good luck,
    Anonymous

• I agree on the answers above. But you should not talk to her while you clean her up and try to keep a straight face. Do not show your anger or annoyance. Just try to have a very neutral facial expression and don't talk at all. Get her cleaned and put her back in time out.
    This way she will not get what she wants which is to see you losing your temper. It will be over soon. She'll learn
    Trinity4eva

Answer by Trinity4eva at 3:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Make her clean herself up .. she made the mess, she can clean it!
    If it wasn't intentional, it would be a completely different story, but this little girl is playing you!
    If she threw her food on the floor, you would make her clean it up, right? This isnt any different
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i agree with christy, if she can clean herself up, then that would be better. just be sure she is safe (not choking on her own vomit)
    i might even consider letting her stay messy until her time out is over. it is just three minutes right? consistency is the key. don't give up, it will give her the control she is seeking out.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would make her clean herself up. You know she's doing it intentionally. With you cleaning her up, it 's getting your attention which is what she wants. Next time give a bucket to puke in & a cloth to cleanup with at the beginning of timeout. Then she will have no reason to leave timeout.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2010