Can you receive public funding for homeschooling? if not how do you pay for it?

Honest question. I am a Title One reading teacher with a k-3 license. I thought that homeschoolers were given public money for their curriculum and enrichments. that should make sense because a public school gets about 10,000 per kid per year (from federal and state {in ohio where i live}) and chater schools get about 7,000 per kid per year. So --- do homeschoolers get financial help from the gov. to pay for their child's education or do they pay for it all out of pocket? if you know anything please share with me. I have googled it and i am not finding any real answers... help me out...

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 3:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• We don't get any money from the state. We pay for public school and our own supplies. But there are private homeschool organizations that give grants to those with financial need.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Its all out of your own pocket!

A lot of school districts have homeschool programs so they can still get funding. Those are paid for by the state, but then the state is in control of your education again. Whether its worth it or not it up to you. Involvement in these programs in strictly voluntary.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My aunt home schooled her children in Georgia. They paid out of pocket. I have never heard of financial support for homeschoolers.
    Anonymous

• If parents could get funding, the schools would close :)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• that seems crazy to me.... your homeschool kids have to have paperwork filed with the state about your curriculum... i also know that in alaska people can get money for homeschooling because the area is so huge with so few people that they cannot really have schools effectively and will pay for the curriculum.... i never knew that! seems like the gov is getting off too easy. they are saving 10,000 dollars a year (just federal not state and local) per kid that is homeschooled. seems like you should be able to at least get half of that money...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:49 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My kids are enrolled in a independent study program. We pay for supplies but not books or anything. All of the homeschool programs (which are known more as independent study) are under the local school districts. I don't understand if parents are paying for their children's schooling, how are the kids getting credit for the school work? I have never understood this. I would rather my kids be enrolled in a program that provides the curriculem and structure.
    goldilocks70

Answer by goldilocks70 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• We pay for everything out of our own pocket ,which is just fine with me. If we got money from the state, they would have the right to dictate how we educate our children, which is defeating the purpose of homeschooling in the first place. It's bad enough the hoops we have to jump through in this state to even be allowed to homeschool ( PA has the strictest homeschooling laws in the country except for NY), I don't want them in my business any more than they already are.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• NO. Just as you can't get funding for simply being a SAHM. If you CHOOSE to do it, you have to figure out how to financially survive on your own.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• No. Funding is not available for people who choose to homeschool. Nor should it ever be.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Financial aid is not provided because the government provides schooling. If parents want to do something different (either homeschool or send to a private school), then it's all on their own accord.

The government also doesn't regulate homeschoolers the same way public schools are regulated (as in length/number of school days, qualifications of teacher, and so on).
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2010