What would you do?

We plan on going out of state we have two dogs and can not seem to find a place for them to be taking care of all kennels are booked and I don't know anyone so so much for having someone watch them :( Well they basically stay in the back yard and tied to a tree but have enough slack to roam around but not too far anyway we need to leave but can not take our dogs :( So my plan is to fill a big bucket of food enough for 5 days and a big bucket of water, I am sure they will be fine but I can't seem to not worry about them I have no choice on taking them.
Please give some advice don't no rude remarks or comments I feel bad already leaving them. I know I know them better than what I have mentioned but I think they will be ok. Thank you ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Pets

• I watched this one show that they have about canines and dog catchers,they are like animal patrol or something..I can't think of what it is called. Anyway...this one family had no choice but to leave thier dog tied to a tree because the owner was hospitalized and something else happend ...anyway..the dog ended up somehow wrapping his leg so tightly with the cord that it cut the log off.It was like that for days before anyone found out. It lived..but can you imagine the pain?The poor dog.I know its a tough situation..but really..think twice about leaving them, anything can happen.Can you ask your neighbors to check on them daily?Even offer to pay them.Call your local kennel, maybe they have a list of dog sitters or animal foster homes that could take the dogs in while your gone. I know if you didn't care about your animals you wouldnt be asking and worried about it. Good Luck! I really hope something works out!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• you could do that, and at least ask a neighbor to just check on them and leave them fresh food and water.
    Anonymous

• if you dont have someone at least check on them and leave fresh food and water, then i think that is cruelty.
    Anonymous

• You need to AT LEAST have a neighbor checking in on them EVERYDAY. They are DOGS. They need SOMEONE there for them.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• We have left our dog in the back yard before. We did not tie him up though. Honestly, I would worry about that part Do you know a teenager that could check in on them? Just an idea..
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Why have dogs if you keep them in the yard TIED to a Tree? Leaving them without care is inhumane.
    Anonymous

• craigslist
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I agree... I think leaving dogs tied to a tree for 5 days without anybody checking on them to be inhumane. Why not check craigslist or something like that for dog sitters? There are plenty of professional services that will have somebody come to check up on them and refresh their water and food once a day... They also have people who will take in the dogs for a couple of days, or who will stay at your house for the duration, so they won't have to be tied up 24/7. Yes, it'll cost you some money, but that's what a responsible dog owner has to do.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Wow you tie them to a tree, that is horrible. Don't be surprised if you come home and they have hanged themselves. Animal cruelty!

Anonymous

• They could get wrapped around the tree and choke to death. Tying them up is wrong even when you're home 24/7, IMO. I'm not bashing you, I just don't understand why people have animals and then don't take into consideration all of the responsibility that comes with having them. You should treat them as you would a child, and I would hope you wouldn't leave them alone unattended. I'm sorry, this just bothers me. If I lived near you and saw they were left alone they wouldn't be there when you got home, I would call the humane society, or ASPCA..... Call your vets office or a local rescue group and get them somewhere they will be cared for in a humane way...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2010