Question about selling a house

If you are selling your house through a real estate company, do they generally take the pictures for the listing or is the seller allowed to take the pictures themselves?

I just saw the listing for my neighbor's house and the pictures make their house look really, really bad (they're very crooked and dark and blurry), but the house is actually a lot nicer than it makes it look. If I were buying a house I would avoid wanting to actually go see a house that didn't look very good in the listing. To me there's "curb appeal" and there's also "listing photos appeal" to consider. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you work with a good realty company then the realtor should take good photos. They don't get paid unless your house sells. So someone with a great record for moving houses quickly will take great pics and have them up ASAP. A really good realtor will help stage the house for photos and showing. You may have to pay for the staging, but the realtor should know how to stage for the quickest flip.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• But can only the realtor take the photos? Can the home owner take them?
    Anonymous

• I dont see why the seller can not take them. You should ask your realtor about this
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 5:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• If there are photos you want them to use, by all means give it to them and tell them to use them, remember they are working for you.

Answer by older at 5:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Thanks. I just wondered if there was a rule on it is all. And yes, if I were selling my home, I would ask my realtor about it, but since I am not selling I don't have a realtor to ask. lol
    Anonymous

Anonymous

• I don't know if there's a rule, per say, but when my brother was selling his house, the realtor put some crappy pics up, enough people complained to him so he complained to the realtor, within 24 hours there were much better pics on the website. If nothing else, YOU call the realtor (but don't tell them who you are), tell them you're interested in X property but you'd like to see better pictures as the ones on the site are poor quality.
    Anonymous

• My dh is a lic broker, he says to complain to the broker/realtor about the pics. You as the seller are paying for this service and if the pics don't look right, they are hindering the sell of the house.
    Also check the agreement signed at the time of listing, see if it says anything about "Only" realtor pics allowed, if not ask to put the pics you take in the add...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My agent and I both took some photos of the house, then went through them together to decide which ones to use. We used mostly hers, because I think her camera was better than mine, but we did use one or two of mine. I imagine that it will boil down to your individual agent's attitude--some might be offended if you "don't like" their photos, while others will be all about teamwork and getting the house sold no matter who takes the pictures.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:20 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• My friend is selling her home and very unhappy with the photos her realtor took. So I took ours myself, and our realtor is using them. I took more than she is using, but I am fine with her choosing which to use.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2012