breakfast- do you let your kids eat non traditional food?

I let my LO eat stuff like hamburgers, spaghetti, dinner leftovers for breakfast- I never liked the traditional stuff like waffles and I wasn't allowed to eat cereal. Back then the box had more nutrients.
I've been called terrible for that-

any of you let your kids do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Haha, I thought my boy was the only one. Just the other day he had clam chowder for breakfast and scrambled eggs for lunch, lol. I think as long as he is eating something good, then theres no problem. I would rather feed him that than some sugary cereal or something eles. I dont believe in forcing kids to eat what you want them to eat.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Yes. My daughter eats cereal ( the good kind not that sugary stuff) and occasionally waffles, or eggs and bacon. She's 2 and a half. What's wrong with letting her eat that stuff for breakfast? I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, but it wouldn't hurt to give your child some cereal now and then...or eggs.
    Anonymous

• ya i do that sometimes, hey as long as they eat. I doesn't have to be actual breakfast food, plus you can have breakfast food for lunch or dinner. also when they have their b-day party i will let them the next day have a piece of cake for breakfast. i dont see anything wrong with it.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 5:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• op- she eats the cereal and eggs occasionally, but it's not what she usually prefers.
    that and the spaghetti and dinner stuff cook fast and easy in the microwave while I can help her get ready.

Guess I figure it doens't really matter much as long as he's getting her nutrients- but then she actually likes veggies and has them along with other things for breakfast.
    So I figure it all works out- was just curious-
    Anonymous

• Your not alone.....I let me DD eat popsicles and cookies sometimes...it won't kill them! Dinner type meals I haven't tried....usually leave those for lunch but if that's what they like then who cares?!
    Anonymous

• My kids prefer cereal so it's never really been an issue. We do eat cold pizza for dinner the day after ordering pizza (we always get extra so we can have leftovers the next day). I've been doing that since I was a kid. I also used to eat Burger King for breakfast, lol. So healthy. My dad got the kids White Castle (equally healthy) one time and got so many we had a bunch left over and my son decided to have them for breakfast. I don't know how I used to eat that stuff...it's so greasy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Wait; quick someone tell me where to look - I didn't know food was limited to a certain time of day! Waffle House is in a lot of trouble! ROFL - so kidding

It's fine...the only thing "bad" would be to let them eat too many empty calories or too much sugar at any meal...but if they want a burger for breakfast and an omelet for dinner - so be it!!
    Anonymous

• Anything goes here.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• OP- heck - I remember eating liver and steak for breakfast- but then I like liver :) think I'll make some now!
    Anonymous

• as long as its healthy i don't care what they eat.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2010