How can I transition my 2 year old from eating fast food and pre cooked, processed foods to eating healthy foods?

It's my fault he only likes the bad stuff so it doesn't seem fair to make him eat what I give him or let him starve.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can make healthy versions of some of the food he likes... like if he really likes nuggets you can cut up chicken breast and coat them in bread crumbs and bake them. There are all kinds of things you can make that are healthier versions of fast foods.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I guess I'm mean, but meals here aren't up for negotiation regardless of age. If it's on the plate, that's what on offer. If you don't want it, then don't eat it. No short order cooking. Not even for DH.

Fun foods you can make at home: Home made sweet potato fries in the oven, home made tacos with organic meats and natural cheeses, home made pizza with pureed veggies in the sauce, monster brains smoothie (fruit and spinach smoothie is green! so silly!), fresh fruit and veggie slices with hummus or bean dip
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• quit getting the crappy food and just do it.

sure there'll be fights and complaints but you know what....kids WILL NOT STARVE THEMSELVES
    Anonymous

• My dd is 3... I did the "What I fix is what you eat" ONE NIGHT ---- The next morning she ate breakfast & THREW EVERYTHING BACK UP! .... She was so hungry that the first thing that hit her stomach made her sick! (yeah i took this advice from CM'ers)
    Now I cringe when I hear parents doing this.. Personally I know how hard it is to go to sleep hungry..

Anonymous

• Start slowly
    1. Like someone said with the nuggets. Disguise it. serve it with a lil cheap toy ($1 store for plastic bugs could last 1wk or more.)
    2. Sneak it in -- Carrots can be blended up & then put in mac-n-cheese.
    3. Every night put something healthy on their plate. Sweet potatoes can taste good & are healthy & colorful. Try using "dip" for fun value. ranch/ketchup/ect. Or toping it with something good like cheese..
    4. Dress it up... Make faces with the food.
    5. Let them help you make dinner. Kids are more interested in stuff they had a hand in making. Make home made muffins one day, or oatmeal cookies. and move up to them helping you make a green bean casarole.. keep moving them closer to the healthy & soon they will be munching on it while cooking.
    6. Leave it out where they can get it themself- apple/oranges on the counter- carrots at eye level in fridge.ect
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• 7. Reward them... Eat your carrots & you can have ^^^^^^^ (not something really unhealthy or u defeat the purpose! LOL)
    8. Tell them things that appeal to them -- " Eat you yummy green beans & you will grow. you will get stronger. you will be able to "insert something they really want to do but are to small --- like reach the monkey bars alone"
    9. Dont call them veggies .. make up silly names for bunny snacks (carrots) crunchy trees (broccoli)... lol IDK ...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• ohh, one more thing & im done. Promise!
    Dont have unhealthy stuff in the house. That way if they detest what you fix, say Ok -- go pick out your own food! If they only have healthy choices. Its Win/Win! ..... Even though they may eat fruits & nuts for dinner ...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Good for you!

Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Make sure that you set a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• slowly add more haeatly options. Try to make what she likes from scratch. homemade mac n cheese is better than box and chances are she will like homemade better! Same with chicken nuggets!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2010