Should I give him back his Nana?

My DS will be 3 in May, since he was tiny he had a teddy he slept with and eventually couldnt sleep without. It became a big problem when Nana (what he calls his teddy) would get left somewhere or misplaced and DS wouldn't sleep. Had to make a rule that Nana stays in our house. Well about 3 weeks ago Nana went missing but DS didnt seem to care, he slept fine for 3 days/nights before asking where his Nana was, I told him I didnt know, and he was ok with it. I have since found his raggedy old Nana but put him away because he is such a hassle and not too nice to look at. DS has asked for him a couple times but has had no real problems being without him. In a week DS is going to get his tonsils and adnoids out and he should bring a comfort item with him so Im wondering if maybe Nana should come out of hiding and go to the hospital with us? Am I being mean to keep his best friend away from him?

MamaZena

Asked by MamaZena at 5:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No you're not mean. That's a tough one. Before I read the last sentence, I was gunna say...keep it hidden and give it back to him when he gets older. But gee, that's a toughy. Why don't you ask him. If he knows he's going to be going to the hospital...ask him what he would like to bring. If he says anything other then Nana, let him bring it. But if he asks for Nana, maybe you should give it back to him. I'm not really sure. Does he have any other stuffed animals, or favorite toys?
    Anonymous

• ask him to what he wants to take,and dont bring nana up,if he does say you dont know you think nana went on avacation to hawaii,to pick something else
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Why did you take it away? Is it because it's ugly? My son has " Jasper and George" whom he has slept with since he was one. They stay at home, but they are his " best friends". I have faith thta when the time comes, he will let me know when he is ready to give them up. I just dont understant the need to take " nana" away.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would give it to him. He loves Nana and yes he is fine without that teddy but even so - he likes it...give it to him :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Let him have it..My daughter is 3 and still carries a blanket EVERYWHERE lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Maybe Nana could coome with you in your purse to visit, then go back home with you too.
    lildudesmomma

Answer by lildudesmomma at 10:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• thanks ladies! I still have a week to decide but I think Nana will make a come back at least for the hospital stay, he really does make DS feel better/comforted/happy and he will need that for a little while.
    MamaZena

Answer by MamaZena at 10:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My son is almost 4 and his blanket and a few stuffed animals are his "best friends", I don't find them to be a hassle. I let him bring his blankie out with us, and sometimes ONE stuffed animal. My oldest is 6, will be 7 in Sept, and he still carries his blankie and a fave stuffed animal, but he leaves them in the car. I dont' see why it's such a hassle, these items are so important to your child. If he wants it, I personally don't see why you shouldn't give it back if he asks for it. Specially if he's going to the hospital! :-)
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• to be honest, I would give it back to him..surgery is scary at an age and at that young of an age it is even more frightening sometimes. If that is what has brought him the most comfort then I would give it to him. My 12 yr old still has his bunny foofoo that he pulls into bed with him occasionally..not often, but a couple times a month . I figure they grow up so fast that let them enjoy childhood loves as long as they want..when they are ready, they will give them up on their own.
    I should probably add that my son is multiply disabled and is on the autism spectrum..socially/developmentaly he is about 6 or 7 years old.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 12:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• I'm 26 and still have a blanket that I have trouble sleeping without,it was my moms when she was going through cancer and then she gave it to me one time when i was in the hospital, it became a mainstay with me when I made my many trips to the hospital, I bring it on vacation and everything with me, it's just a comfort and security thing. Let him have it.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 2:41 AM on Mar. 13, 2010