Are you concerned about your child's use drug or alcohol use? How are you approaching it with them?

HazelDen

Asked by HazelDen at 5:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• When I finally figured it out ( duh!!!) I began immediately suspending priveleges. I stopped his cell phone, I wouldn't let him go out, I wouldn't let certain friends come over. I took the tv out of his room. I was searching him. I was doing urine drug testing. It got so bad and he wasn't listening, I finally called the cops 2 days before he turned 18. THAT stopped him from doing it in the house. Now he has a "nice" girlfriend. THAT's what he needed. He's been clean for a year (age 19 now.) I guess for him, sex is better than pot. ;p
    Anonymous

• The trick to keeping your children off drugs and alcohol is starting young age talking to thema bout the dangers, making them watch the local news about all the drug arrests, take them to local court and watch the kids get convicted of drunk driving and drug use. Keep them in sports and never miss anything your children participate in. Thank God I never had these problems with my children.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• NO, I don't. I am perfectly honest with my son about the dangers and consequences of drugs and alcohol. I also don't make it taboo or a bad thing. Preteen and teens tend to do things just because a big deal is bad out of them or a parent tells them no. The US has the highest rates of teen alcohol and drug abuse and addiction. I think we need to be more open and honest with our kids like they are in European countries, where the rates are much lower.

Also, I may not worry as much because I am studying to be a drug and alcohol counselor and know the stats and what to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• To date they do not use.... 15 and 13 (also an 8 yr old). We talk talk/listen talk/listen talk/listen talk/listen talk/listen. I also snoop but never let them know. I confirm all outings with other parents. They do not go places unless I know who is going to be there, where they are going to be and ALL the details. And sports sports sports sports. Less extra time to fool around.

But Im not so naive to believe that this is a 100% guarantee that they will not experiment. So I just keep talking talking talking listen listen listen sports sports sports............ and pray. It is the best I can do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 14, 2010

• I talk to my 13 yr old all the time about drugs and alcohol. I tell him the dangers of all of it. We watch addiction shows together such as Intervention. This really helps us have open discussions and lets him see what the reality of drugs is and what they do to your body.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2010

• You need to find a menitor for him. I'm actually going through this. I have been checking myself and seeing where I have failed him. I know he needs attention and activities. I'm hoping on getting him involved in our church youth groups, inviting his church friends to our house, making our home the hang out instead of him going elsewhere, going to his school if he misbehaves and sitting in his class once a week, idk i'm brain storming. I'm praying for God's guidness through this. I will not tolorate the use of it knowingly. He knows how much dislike it and we need to battle it hard now ladies. We as moms NEED TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE!!! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Well, we're really active in church and mission work, and they get to see firsthand a lot of strung out, wasted people, and it's a major turn-off to them. We've had a lot of heart-to-heart talks about it. Honestly, I'm not too worried about my kids getting into that type of stuff. I keep a pretty good watch over them and over their freinds, and I won't even allow them to hang out with a kid who's into that stuff.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2010