Gassy baby?

My one month old has bad gas even after he is burped. He farts constantly and screams when he is put down. Anyone have advice?

MoM.i.aM

Asked by MoM.i.aM at 6:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is a Preemie I don't know if that matters.
    MoM.i.aM

Answer by MoM.i.aM at 6:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Mylicon drops (infant's baby gas-x) it can be given after every feeding, and if you formula feed, it can be put straight into the bottle. It's the best stuff! Since he's a month old, even though a preemie, he should do fine with it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• If you're breastfeeding, I'm guessing one of two things - you're eating something that's doing it (with my 1st, it was my daily snickers bar), or he's getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk - baby's need a good balance of it. If you are bf, try pumping or expressing some milk before feeding him, and/or feed multiple times in a row from one side, so he gets that hindmilk.

If you're formula feeding, you most likely need a different formula. If he's on regular milk-based, try the lactose free. One of mine couldn't have the stuff with the added DHA/ARA (this was when adding it was a new thing).
    Anonymous

• Try Gripe Water. It's all natural and really works. My son was very gassy and I hated to keep giving him the Mylicon drops. I found the Gripe Water and I could put it straight into his bottle or give it to him with a medicine dropper. It's kind of expensive, but worth every penny. You can find it at the drug stores.
    HeatherLeigh

Answer by HeatherLeigh at 10:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• formula or breastfeeding? Does his gas smell bad like sulfer (rotten eggs).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• He is BF and the gas is not smelly. He eats almost every hour.
    MoM.i.aM

Answer by MoM.i.aM at 10:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Mylicon is great. Also, what worked for me, lay him on his back on your lap so he is facing you and then gently to moderately bicycle his legs. That motion usually worked it out somehow. I've always given this tip at baby showers and have been told it works for them as well.
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 11:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2010