I have an 11 yr. old boy who is starting to have anger management problems. He is an awesome kid except this issue that has just recently started. Any suggestion on how to help him with it?

He has just begun to go through puberty. His voice has started changing. He is very active. He plays football, wrestles, and calf ropes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sounds like he's having a hard time dealing with all the changes his body is going through. If your terrible concerned see about getting him seen by a counselor or professional who may be able to help him deal with it all. Kids and puberty issues dont usually believe their parents trying to tell them it's normal. They will believe a counselor though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2008

• I have two sons and the older one did the same thing. Christmas for two years straight was awful. Don't worry. If it's not serious he will out grow it but if you have concerns maybe you should talk to a counselor and see if he recommends talking to your son.
    PennaMom

Answer by PennaMom at 12:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2008

• he needs to learn to express himself in a non violent verbal way. He needs to know his opinion is valued, and respected even if you do not go along with it, he is alowed to have it. If he keeps things botted up and learns to explode he will be a bad husband in the future. He must work on communication and you on listening.
    suzannev

Answer by suzannev at 2:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2008

• Sometimes its best to let them be. Its different for girls, but when I went through puberty I just wanted to be left alone sometimes. He has a lot to think about with all the changes he's facing.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2008

• your lil man is growing up trying to discover how to be a man plain an simple. every child goes through this how you react will be the key to helping him and you get through this big change. 1 important have a male romodel prefer a open mind male no grampas as times have changed have the talk this way he understands what his bodies doing is normal. You need to understand his new need for independence, privacy, his fears and daily issues he has to deal with.. things he's maybe dealing with #1 most embarrising he' most likely popping wood school on playground etc he needs a male he respects to say hey buddy its cool we all went through this and teach him the ways to conceal it when it happens in public. can you think back how much teasing went on in ur school.. now imagine ur son at lunch talkin tryin to be cool an bam voice goes deep to girlie! cont.
    raisen7witease

Answer by raisen7witease at 2:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• cont...heck this stuff would make anybody angry. learn to listen 1st then respond and I dont mean cave in to any demands be firm but remember hes growing into a young adult and as with any adult respect is a two way street. they do outgrow this stage My bros I raised through teens now 21 and 19 now hug me and r thankful they had me.. back at 13 and 15 I was enemy #1 much.
    raisen7witease

Answer by raisen7witease at 2:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2008

• I raised 5 sons still working on one some have turned out better than others My now 26yr old developed early had to shave at 11 it really effected him I put him in counsling for violet behaviour he also was active in sports coaches liked him strong and mean Im still hopeing he will change he is very succesful but he cant feel I llove him dearly take your time and go slowly just my opion
    blackwidow15

Answer by blackwidow15 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2008