i give an inch and he takes a mile..

so my husband has been asking to get a motorcycle for quite sometime...and i always said no because i was uncomfortable with it. i fear the crashes and idiots on the road who wont watch for him.anyways...so about 1 month ago i gave in, we found out we were expecting and i thought him getting a mototcycle would make him feel "free" idk its somehting he really wanted. he bought one and my "rule" was for him to wear a helmet...he did at first..and now he doesnt wear one. i tell him to wear it and i dont like it when he doesnt wear it it makes me a nervous wreck when he rides w/out one. i tell him it only takes one wreck and we could lose him. and no our state doesnt require wearing a helmet. he sees everyone else in town who doesnt wear a helmet so he feels its "okay"..help@

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• You can ask all you want and protest, cry, scream and throw the helmet at him.... and he's not going to. You gave in to him getting a bike so the way he sees it... you will eventually give in to the helmet thing. If he wants to be an idiot let him.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i know what you mean soonmommy..but im scared to death of losing him:(
    Anonymous

• Well, I can say this about wearing a helmet...it can make it difficult to see from the sides and it can be uncomfortable..not to mention give you helmet head,LOL.
    Those are the typical reasons for a biker to not wear a helmet.
    I completley understand the saftey reasons of wearing a helmet and so do many other bikers, but many tend to ignore that because you kinda get this invincable feeling...like nothing bad is going to happen..I'll just be careful and I will be fine.
    But stuff does happen and when it does, its too late.
    I hear you pain and concern and I understand it...but I really don't know what you could do..he's a grown man. I have a hard time making my 9 year old child wear a helmet..I can imagine a stubborn grown man. Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I know you are hun, but we can have such stubborn husbands.. that the best thing to do is clench our butt checks and hope for the best! lol.

i know what you mean soonmommy..but im scared to death of losing him:(

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• the thing is..my father passed away from a motorcycle wreck and he wasnt wearing a helmet:( he knows this and that was also a reason i gave to not want him to even have a bike. im not sure if my father would be here if he wore a helmet however we will never know.~op
    Anonymous

• well, I've ridden motorcycles since I was able to sit up (drove them from 10 up) and law or not, if I was married to someone that refused to wear a helmet - I would take out a good insurance policy to make sure myself and kids were protected, ask him if he preferred burial or cremation and then basically do as I pleased. Meaning that though I wouldn't start a affair since he could use that against me in a divorce, but I would start shopping around.
    He may never have a accident but I think his actions are speaking for themselves.

He needs to grow up.

Anonymous

• I'd stop hounding him about it. If he's that stupid than that's his problem.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• My spouse knows if he doesn't wear his helmet, I will be taking the keys. It is the only rule we have for each other for when we ride out bikes, we MUST wear helmets.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Tell him that if he wants to ride without a helmet, he needs to get in touch with a lawyer to draw up a will and get advice on the best life insurance. Just because he's being an idiot doesn't mean you and your children shouldn't be taken care of. I'm totally serious on that. Make him do it.

I have a friend who WAS wearing his helmet, was hit at 35 MPH by someone that "didn't see him", and he still almost died. He was in a coma for two days, every bone in his face was broken and he went through at least a dozen reconstructive surgeries. He would've been dead if he hadn't been wearing that helmet. Thank goodness the Navy has strict policies on wearing all your protective gear.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 7:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• http://www.saferoads.org/motorcycle-helmets Check out this site. It had some interesting facts. I would print these out and leave them around where he might see them. Tape them on the garage door. And if all else fails, you could hold out on him. Let him decide what is more important, you and your family or his dangerous bike ways. Eventually he might get it through his head. It may take a real scare for him to listen. I hope he learns before that happens.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2010